• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Info question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, the 1600 memory will work just fine in the board. Whether or not your CPU's ICM will play in a stable fashion with the ram running at higher than 1333 is another issue because that's all the AMD ICM is presently rated for. Many people are finding they cannot use 1600 mhz memory at full speed with the current generation of AMD CPUs. Whether Bulldozer will improve upon that remains to be seen.

What do you mean? So AMD CUP'S dont support more than 1333? Can you explain more, because i thought it depended only on the motherboard. And if it does not run stable, can i just underclock the 1600 to 1333?

The IMC (integrated memory controller) on current AMD CPUs is rated for 1333 mhz. "Integrated" meaning built into the processor die. For some years now the memory controller has been built into the CPU whereas years ago it was a component of the motherboard.

Having said that it is also true that there are other electronic components on the motherboard that support the RAM function and need to be robust enough to handle the speed and power draw of the ram you intend to use. The question becomes, then, what is the weak link: motherboard components or ICM?

And yes, you can run the 1600 mhz ram at 1333 mhz quite easily. In fact, you may find that the motherboard defaults to 1333 and if you intend to run it faster you may need to manually set the memory speed to 1600 in bios. Memory will run at any speed up to what it is rated for, not just the speed at which it is advertised.

So are there cases where the 1600 RAM works as intended with the AMD CPU? And how do i know when it is just not cooperating well, will it just not work or are there gonna be some symptoms that i have to look for?

When loosening timings of the ram and giving the ram a little extra voltage and when you have raised CpuNB and NB and the ram still refuses to run at DDR1600...well then it points toward the ram to IMC not wanting to play together.

A note here: the very latest steppings and thuban cpus are noted for having better IMCs overall. However that is no surety even then of DDR1600 working. They are just moving toward the best chance of operation of ram at DDR1600.

Thanks for all the info, ill go ahead and try the 1600 speed when i get the parts. Ill report back here if it works or not.

So are there cases where the 1600 RAM works as intended with the AMD CPU? And how do i know when it is just not cooperating well, will it just not work or are there gonna be some symptoms that i have to look for?

You will know the ram won' t run at 1600 on your system if you can't get the computer to run stable (stable means no BSODs, no crashes, no lockups when under stress).

I set the ram to 1600 in the BIOS. It is running fine and stable so far. The timings are 9-9-9-24-1T, if it gets unstable i will Update.

Stress test it with Prime95 blend test for at least 2 hrs. and then report back about stability.

I, don't want to continue the test for longer than 5 minutes because the temp reaches 61C and rises slowly, i don't want to harm my cpu.

What CPU cooler are your using and what case (how many and how big are the fans?)? You may have a cooling and/or ventilation problem or your cooler may not be seated correctly on the CPU or the thermal paste may not be applied correctly. However, 61 C is not a temp dangerous to the CPU. AMD says safe temps for their CPUs top out at about 70 C. Having said that, 61 C on an overclocked CPU would probably make it unstable.

Case- Cooler Master Wave Master
CPU Cooler- Stock that came with the CPU

I have some complaints about it though. It seems not to fit well on the CPU, it is on the cpu but i have a feeling it is not mounted correctly. the knob that us used to let go of the clamps faces down and touches the pipes and i cannot put it up because it would crush the CPU. The clamps seem too short. if you want i can take a picture. Any suggestions?

Second question, i have this cooler on my mindCOOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1,is it a good CPU Cooler. How good would it be with one fan? Two?

the cpu cooler you have chosen is somewhat good for an mild overclock..[around 3.65-37GHZ 24/7 stable clocks]
it comes with one fan but i would advise you to pick up another one with the same specifications...
suggestions
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103061
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060
as regard to the case i would advise you to change it to something more airy
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227&Tpk=Elite 430

Back