• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Issues...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarrenP

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to decide on a great motherboard, and well i'm having some issues... I can't seem to decide. :shrug:

So far i'm thinking either
A ASUS Sabertooth Z77
The Intel DZ77GAL70K
Or the ASUS Maximus V Gene...

So far as far as parts i have an Intel Core I7 3770K, and my case a Rosewill Thor V-2 White. That's it for parts so far. This is my first PC build and i'm trying to figure out how to do this, and i will eventually as i get comfortable be Overclocking. so i need a board that would be good for that.. As far as a GPU i'm thinking a GTX Titan.
Someone please help me!
-Darren

Ooof... well... yikes. NOT the Sabertooth (gimmicky - better/same quality boards for less

Intel - fine, but, not preffered by overclockers

MVGene - LIkely overkill for your needs.

Asrock Extreme 4 or Extreme 6.

Why a Titan? You have a monitor that runs 2560x1600 or multiple monitors? Otherwise, save $600 and get a 7970.

Thanks for your reply guy!
I was planning on going with the Intel Board, or the sabertooth. what's wrong with the sabertooth though?
The titan because of the 6GB of Memory, because i'll be running 3 monitors and a 32" TV with on card, and that's what i figured would be best! :D

The Sabertooth is gimmicky and too expensive for what it is. You can have a better/similar board for the same or much less money.

Titan is neat and all, but is a ripoff IMO. you can buy 2 7970's which will SMOKE a Titan for $200 less. 3GB is fine for a tri monitor setup (you wont be gaming on 4).

I really liked the Sabertooth.. :/ maybe the extreme 6 i never really looked at the Asrock boards, as they see cheap to me.

and maybe i'll go with the 7970's or a 690? perhaps?

Aright so you've changed my mind on GPU's but i think i'll go with two 7970 Ghz editions, because i play a lot of demanding games.. and than i could run what 6 monitors?

With multiple monitors, you will want that 3GB of ram and the Nvidia cards with 4GB (not the 690, that is 2GB each, you dont add it up).

Not sure about 6 monitors...

Id stay away from Intel boards... really. Im sure it will be fine, but again... there are better out there. Asrock boards are not cheap... at least not the Extreme6. Id go that route before Intel without a doubt.

Well, you dont need to pay the premium for 6GB is another point... 3GB is fine. Are you really going to play games on 6 monitors?

2 GPUs are more powerful but if your setup ends up maxing out the 2gb of ram (likely with 3 monitors) then you are back to hurting for vram. 3GB is the sweetspot.

And i could run 3 monitors off of each card, and the TV off the onboard Hd 4000 graphics no?
No clue.

You can edit your posts, note (instead of double+ posting). :thup:

I'll go with the asrock extreme 6 board.
Would i really? Like play on the bottom 3 and have the other 3 as maps and such, so yes i would be needing 6 monitors :p i'm a gamer :p we like expensive ridiculous things

Not sure you can do that setup in games.. but ok. If that can really happen I would then get 2 7970 6GB's. A Titan will not run that well, and a 690 surely wont with its lack of Vram.

Back