• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard recommendation for simple gaming system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
he FM2+ has a slightly different pin configuration with two additional pin sockets, however FM2+ motherboards will retain backwards compatibility with previous generation Socket FM2 APUs. Socket FM2+ APUs will not be compatible with Socket FM2 motherboards due to the aforementioned additional pins.

looked at that article correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that right there say a fm2 cpu/apu will fit in a fm2+ board

Right, but the boards I found are FM2. So no processor upgrade path from the 760k.

Exactly :D

I think we're arguing the same thing, just misunderstanding one another.
An FM2 chip will work in an FM2+ board.
An FM2+ chip will NOT work in an FM2 board.

Correct, and the motherboards I linked are FM2.

I think I just found the FM2+ boards on Newegg, their new layout sucks $*** it had FM2+ hidden.
Thought they weren't stocked anywhere yet... Hence my recommendation for FM2. :bang head

OP, the ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+ would leave a CPU upgrade path for later. Definitely should be a solid board.

Why? I don't necessarily disagree - I'm just trying to understand the reasoning.

VRM section is weak. At stock it should be okay, but I've had stability issues from a weak motherboard power delivery section before and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

speaking of stock clocks, ref post #8, fx cpu's are paper weights at stock clocks.
amd will be going apu's for the future so am3+ ends here.
why not a used 965, it will wipe the floor with any fx at stock clocks.

Back