• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard repair. Drilling and burning!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YanWest

Hello everybody!
In this video I show the method of repair which works for damaged motherboards by water. This method consist in drilling and burning of damaged motherboard layers. After this you can star your repair soldering activities. This method works only with power contours on the motherboards. Areas with data and multiple layers will not survive with this method.
If you like it, thumbs up! I will make more.

Last edited:
I didn't see any English sub titles but I do have a board at home that might be a good candidate for a guinea pig. So you just grind away all the shorts? Is that what you were doing ?

I didn't see any English sub titles but I do have a board at home that might be a good candidate for a guinea pig. So you just grind away all the shorts? Is that what you were doing ?

If you click on the youtube logo on the video (right bottom corner) it will bring you to the youtube - and there will be subtitles. It's weird but I can't explain why it doesn't work here.

It was interesting to see the board being powered on periodically while shaving away the top coating. This is concerning in some regards that more damage could occur as I watched what looked like some sparks and perhaps some small burning.

How many boards have been repaired using this method successfully? Was this a first time?

It was interesting to see the board being powered on periodically while shaving away the top coating. This is concerning in some regards that more damage could occur as I watched what looked like some sparks and perhaps some small burning.

How many boards have been repaired using this method successfully? Was this a first time?

There are lots of "IF" in this topic.
You should be pro in repair and know system logic of the board you working with. In this case the system logic and config is well know, so you understand each part of the board you working with. If data strips are heavily damaged( in the GPU and CPU areas), usually "this is the end", if not you can try.
I've seen more than 3000 repaired laptops on my experience.
Usually, such case it's a "dead body" which 90% of service centers don't want to deal with. You need to think a lot, and create your way of repair, replace parts, recover layers, insulate them one from another. If talk about chances I'd say - 50\50. This is the final stand. Usually, 99% of diagnoses in such cases "Replace of the motherboard" completely.

Back