• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bennyy007

Hello,

Need some help here people, i've recently brought a high-end processor the AMD Phenom II X4 940 Quad-Core (Black Edition) @ 3Ghz but at the moment I have a poor low-end motherboard by ECS (EliteGroup).

And I wish to take advantage of this of processor by overclocking it but I know ECS boards are not actually built for that type of thing, so if someone could recommend a few motherboard brands that are solid for overclocking not only that but that will last a long long time and good for gaming. Also I'm slowly building my pc up (it's built at the moment with the ECS board as I'm using it right now).

Also I'm on a budget between £100-£160 max, my specs are below:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Quad-Core @ 3Ghz (Black Edition)
CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler (Looking into buying a better cooler)
Motherboard: ECS-GF8100VM-M5 (NVidia Chipset)
RAM: 2Gb SDRAM DDR2 800Mhz
HDD: 500Gb Seagate SATA II
Case Cooling: Coolermaster Storm Scout (Additional two fans on side panel)

Thanks in advanced!

It would really help if you listed the vid card you have or are planning on getting, as if you plan on a dual card setup, you will need the right board with the right chipset to run crossfire, or SLi.

For AM2+ boards, Asus, DFI, Gigabyte, and Foxconn have some really nice top tier boards and good mainstream OC boards. The links below are to newegg since i am not familiar at all with computer shopping places from where you are from. The prices im sure will be diff in your country, so just use this as a guide line of kinda what to look for. Note, newegg doesnt seem to have any gigabyte boards for am2+.

Crossfire AMD Boards built in GFX Mainstream OC boards

Asus M4A78-E 790GX
DFI LANPARTY DK 790GX-M2RS
Foxconn A7DA-S

Crossfire AMD Boards 790FX Top tier boards

DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RSH
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe
Foxconn A79A-S

SLi AMD 780a and 750a boards

ASUS M4N72-E
ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe
Foxconn Destroyer