• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboards and HD comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amossss

Registered
Hi

Regarding Motherboards: ASROCK H91M-S1 Plus S1150 VGA DVI HDMI DDR3 H81 Chipset and gigabyte H81M-HD3, which is considered more reliable/better if at all? what about memory slots? couldn't understand if there is a difference between them.

Regarding HD:Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Sata3 WD5000AAKX Caviar Blue and Toshiba DT01ACA050 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Sata3 : which is considered more reliable?

Thanks

Either motherboard will be fine, just pick the one that has the features that fit your needs best.

Take the WD HDD

Thanks for a quick reply. That's the thing, I don't really know which fits my needs best and as you said, they are pretty much the same? The only thing I can think of is the memory slots number and even that, I didn't find if there is a difference

Looks like the RAM slots are the same, the Gigabyte has a better audio codec, same LAN, the Gigabyte has more PCI and PCIe slots, same number of SATA ports, the Gigabyte has more USB ports.

Sounds like the Gigabyte is the board with the better features, but what's the cost difference?

I'd say that's worth it for the Gigabyte.
Any other boards in your price range?

I needed vga, dvi and hdmi outputs so the seller gave me the asrock one, I asked also for an equal gigabyte's motherboard which I'm more familiar with. We never discussed other options and I want to be focused so I ask only about these 2.

I needed vga, dvi and hdmi outputs so the seller gave me the asrock one, I asked also for an equal gigabyte's motherboard which I'm more familiar with. We never discussed other options and I want to be focused so I ask only about these 2.

There's nothing to be more or less familiar with. Motherboards all work in the same way. They have differences in the BIOS but since you won't be overclocking on H91, I don't see the point in caring much about which BIOS you get. All you need to do is set the RAM to the correct speed timings and voltage. And maybe tweak the boot priority.

Why did you need all 3- VGA/DVI/HDMI? Are you using 3 monitors with those 3 outputs? What CPU are you using?

Actually I needed 2, VGA and DVI (I have 2 monitors) but MB with HDMI was a few bucks extra so...

The cpu is Intel HasWell Core i7 4790 Socket 1150 8MB 3.6Ghz Tray

Not sure what do you mean by that but as I understand, there are 3 different video outputs in the MB so I will connect my TV and monitor to the DVI and VGA respectively, my TV also have HDMI if I'm not mistaken so if someday I'll want to use it, I will have this option. If not, maybe with a newer TV I will buy in the future... I want to keep this option open for a few more bucks.

Not sure what do you mean by that but as I understand, there are 3 different video outputs in the MB so I will connect my TV and monitor to the DVI and VGA respectively, my TV also have HDMI if I'm not mistaken so if someday I'll want to use it, I will have this option. If not, maybe with a newer TV I will buy in the future... I want to keep this option open for a few more bucks.

Your TV has DVI? Usually TVs have HDMI and sometimes VGA but I have never seen a TV with DVI. If your TV has VGA and HDMI you are much much better off hooking the TV up via HDMI.

What I was trying to say is that there are HDMI to DVI adapters and there are DVI to VGA adapters, so really, the 3 standards are interchangable. That doesn't mean you can get the same result out of a straight up HDMI 2.0 connection (which can do 4K at 60Hz) vs a VGA connection, which is capable of much less. It's also not as crisp.

Actually my TV has DVI and VGA for sure and maybe HDMI as well, I don't remember since I didn't use it anyway :) It's an 8 years old LCD

Actually my TV has DVI and VGA for sure and maybe HDMI as well, I don't remember since I didn't use it anyway :) It's an 8 years old LCD

A TV from 2007 should have a 1st gen HDMI hookup. I believe that it was either 2006 or 2007 when the connector became wide spread. Even if it doesn't have HDMI, you should use DVI. If that means you would need 2 DVI ports on your PC (1 for the TV 1 for the monitor), use the DVI port on your PC for the monitor and use the HDMI port and an HDMI>DVI adapter for your TV. Don't use VGA. VGA is crap.

If you use DVI as apposed to HDMI you will have to connect an audio cable to the TV from the computer if you want to use the TV's built in speakers. DVI and HDMI video quality is the same. The difference is that HDMI carries a high definition audio signal as well as video.

Back