• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mouse disconnects and is never able to reconnect

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madsniper84

Registered
first off i did not know if this is a hardware or software problem or where to put this post so tell me if this is the wrong place. anyway so i just finished building my first computer and i have run into a problem my wired mouse would work for about 10 minutes, and then it turns off and i cannot reconnect it unless i restart the system. i have tried every other usb port and that does not fix it. this problem is getting very frustrating and i could use some support. computer specs are down below.

When it "turns off" does the laser/sensor stay on?

I'm assuming your other peripherals are ok? (Keyboard, whatever else). If thats the case, even if it's working on your laptop, that's still indicative your mouse is broken.

What port is it plugged into? Did you install drivers for it (the mouse or the port)? What about your power settings, is it set to diasble the port? Could be hardware or driver related...

What port is it plugged into? Did you install drivers for it (the mouse or the port)? What about your power settings, is it set to diasble the port? Could be hardware or driver related...

i have tried every other usb port and that does not fix it.

Unlikely power management settings would disable every usb port except the one for the keyboard. He really needs to try another mouse, regardless of how "well" it works with his laptop (could be the angle of the chord or plug keeps it from shorting or failing, I dunno).

It depends on what controller it is on.. a native one to the chipset or 3rd party, hence why I asked. I agree it still isn't likely (pow mgmt) though. ;)

It depends on what controller it is on.. a native one to the chipset or 3rd party, hence why I asked. I agree it still isn't likely (pow mgmt) though. ;)

I had this happen to me on my older mouse ages ago. It too, worked on my laptop "just fine". Never understood it. Weird stuff would happen and it was just the mouse crapping out on me despite doing everything i could to fix it via software. Im probably just "seeing what I want to see" in this case then.

i have not downloaded any drivers. so could anyone point me to any drivers i would need for my new build

i have not downloaded any drivers. so could anyone point me to any drivers i would need for my new build

I would download any drivers that would come with your mouse from the manufacturer. And make sure that all of your motherboard chipset drivers, usb drivers, etc are all up to date.

I would download any drivers that would come with your mouse from the manufacturer. And make sure that all of your motherboard chipset drivers, usb drivers, etc are all up to date.

motherboard drivers would probably be indicative of every thing failing, not one component in multiple spots.

motherboard drivers would probably be indicative of every thing failing
Maybe. :)

Regardless, it is good that everything is up to date or freshly installed, including your chipset drivers, just in case something was wonky inside of there.

Maybe. :)

Regardless, it is good that everything is up to date or freshly installed, including your chipset drivers, just in case something was wonky inside of there.

For sure, I'm not saying dont update drivers! Considering everything else appears to be working, and its a potentially cheap part to replace (or borrow even), it just makes a lot of sense to start there is all.

I agree bob, just trying to narrow down the easy things to do (drivers should be updated, as you and Joe said). Figure it doesn't hurt.

Also worth checking USB power save options and such to see if something is setting it off.

I'd still like to hear if a different mouse (no matter how cheap) has the same issue as well if possible.

Is it cheaper than free (drivers)? If he has one laying around, test that first, no doubt. Otherwise, I would look at drivers, then spend the coin/time to find another mouse to test, absolutely. :thup::ty:

*takes RAT7 out of trash to see if it can be resurrected*

Thank the GODS, it WAS a driver issue
I had like.......12 different HID compliant USB input devices listed in device manager.......
No idea how that happened.

Uninstalled everything listed, downloaded the Mad Catz drivers, ran install package, and boom it works.

Last edited:
Back