• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving a custom loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

I just have a quick question about moving with a custom loop. I will be moving the PC approx 500 miles in a U-haul. I plan to place it in the original packaging for the case. I will likely place it with the motherboard down for transit to minimize strain on the PCIe slot. Should I drain the loop for transport, or simply do a leak test once I get it set up again? Flexible tubing using bitspower compression fittings fwiw. I think draining will place less stress overall on everything, so I'm leaning towards doing that, unless there is some con to leaving the loop drained for a week or two (i.e. having droplets of coolant sitting around but also exposed to air) in terms of corrosion. Running EK cryofuel clear right now.

Drain it. Much the safest thing to do. You don’t want something just vibrating loose and leaking coolant everywhere. It probably wouldn’t break the pc if it did leak as they are low conductivity fluids as long as they are properly dry before switching on. But could be a nightmare if it leaks on all your stuff and wouldn’t look good either.

As for leaving it drained for a week or two. The plastic blocks can dry out and crack if left for too long. It mite depend on what climate you are moving too. If it is somewhere really dry and hot you will want to get coolant back in quite soon. The risk is low but there is a risk, happened to me in the UK, but it was over a month.

Who am I kidding, no way I can go without precious for a week or two

gollum.jpg

I'll probably reuse the fluid though, since it only has a couple months on it. Thoughts on leaving the GPU installed vs removing it vs bracing it somehow? I know the back of a u-haul isn't really a gentle ride. Maybe I'll place it in the back of my car on a trailer instead.

I would (and have) pull the GPU and pack the insides with bubble wrap, just enough to prevent any kind of major shifting, and do as you said-put it in the box the case came in. Maybe put any HDDs in the car for a gentler ride, too. I sent a rig (with GPU) on a bus from Phoenix to MA like that and that's how it returned 5 months later. RGB Toes is sitting next to me playing a game on that rig as I type this. :D

After you arrive, do know that 500 miles means lots of side to side shaking. Re seat everything in the PC, even redo the plugs to make sure nothing has come undone. That is my experience.

If possible i would put it in your car. The ride will be a hell of a lot smoother vs a uhaul or trailer. I just hauled a riding mower in a trailer and the tie down came loose. The mower bounced roughly 3 feet back on the trailer while cruisin the highway for an hour. The brake was on and it was in drive so it literally caught some air to move that far back. The uhaul may be a better idea than the trailer lol. Gl with move!

Honestly, if I had to move my current pride and joy like that I'd just disassemble it and put all the parts in the boxes they came in (yes, I still have all of them). A pain in the posterior on both ends of the move, but I wouldn't want to be driving a Uhaul in traffic worrying about my rig in the back. :D

The car will be on the flatbed towed by the uhaul. I could also surround it in couch cushions. Alaric, I have all of the boxes too, maybe I should tear it down fully. I just can't think of that much that is heavy enough to cause a problem, bu then again if a Rad were to rattle loose :eek:

When I moved mine I drained it, packed the fluid separately. I did not disconnect tubes but I put some packing under my video card to help support it. It went in the uhaul. It did fine. I'm guessing the antifreeze based coolant was a good thing - though I did not think of it at the time. That truck got very cold in the back, well below freezing. In retropect I should have put it in the cab with me.... but I got lucky.

Arrived safe and sound, back up and running.

I drained the loop, pulled the GPU and the tubing running to the GPU. I ended up having a driver for the car so it rode in the back of the car, motherboard try flat down. I didn't add any packing material inside. I did have one fan that had some kind of issue where the hub was rubbing against the rad, but I removed the fan and re-installed it and the issue seems to be resolved. Also my loop temp probe seems to have died right after I bumped the desk with my knee (fairly hard), but also within an hour of getting it running.

I did go through all the fittings and plugs and did a leak test for about 6 hrs. I did not re-seat the CPU or re-paste either block, but thermals are looking good.

Back