• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving To The Dark Side Of Cooling - Home Made Dice Pot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had that issue at Witchdoctors Blaylock, I had not insulated the 1st ram slot well enough and when the condensation formed around it I started having issues. You really need to pack that 1st slot well with Vaseline/Dielectric Grease. I will also put eraser at the bottom of the slot to try and keep the condensation from creeping in from underneath.

You made me literally LOL there. Thx.

I've done the kamikaze mode for short periods, but never 5-6 hours. You should take the Rodeo Clown Oath. Lmao

I have done this for my 1st -3rd benching runs that all have lasted over 9+ hrs. Now that I think about it, I should take that OATH as I'm flirting with Burnt Electronics doing this. I do have my camera ready, just in case, for that Memorex Moment :rofl:

I have only stopped the benching runs because everything stopped wanting to cooperate :rain:
The CPU would no longer hit the same Freq/Volt as when I started :rain: , or the computer would just BSOD during a run.:rain:
The Memory would would no longer hit the same Freq/Volt as when I started :rain:
The F1 would no longer hold the CPU @ -XXc as when I started :rain:

I had that issue at Witchdoctors Blaylock, I had not insulated the 1st ram slot well enough and when the condensation formed around it I started having issues. You really need to pack that 1st slot well with Vaseline/Dielectric Grease. I will also put eraser at the bottom of the slot to try and keep the condensation from creeping in from underneath.

OK, good to know I was thinking along the correct reason for it. THX

This makes no sense to me how that could happen.

This is referring to my earlier statement about having the foam around the F1 to long. The bottom of the F1 would not properly seat on the CPU, it would hit only 1/2 or less of the IHS when the hold down plate was tightened:(

As we've been saying make sure the contact between the pot and CPU lid is OK or else.

I've had a problem before with insufficent contact and possibly hurt my 8320 over it - Have it setup today for some frozen action and I'm about to find out if it's really wounded or not. Biggest deal though is I'm not 100% sure if it's the CPU, could be the board has a problem.

Earlier I slapped the Bat-Pot on top, picked up some DICE and now I'm ready to go for the pot's first test since I had it reworked.

This is referring to my earlier statement about having the foam around the F1 to long. The bottom of the F1 would not properly seat on the CPU, it would hit only 1/2 or less of the IHS when the hold down plate was tightened:(
Which if you think about it makes even less sense. If you were not getting good contact, you do not have as much heatload so temperatures should stay lower/at its lowest. The shouldn't be a temperature creep up when the CPU is on idle. I'm not sure the issue is with the mount so much as it is the use of DI and the alcohol.... OR the probe not being mounted properly.

As we've been saying make sure the contact between the pot and CPU lid is OK or else.

I've had a problem before with insufficent contact and possibly hurt my 8320 over it - Have it setup today for some frozen action and I'm about to find out if it's really wounded or not. Biggest deal though is I'm not 100% sure if it's the CPU, could be the board has a problem.

Earlier I slapped the Bat-Pot on top, picked up some DICE and now I'm ready to go for the pot's first test since I had it reworked.

You not benching for OCF??????

Which if you think about it makes even less sense. If you were not getting good contact, you do not have as much heatload so temperatures should stay lower/at its lowest. The shouldn't be a temperature creep up when the CPU is on idle. I'm not sure the issue is with the mount so much as it is the use of DI and the alcohol.... OR the probe not being mounted properly.

^ this is going by the cheap probe that I have :( The 1st and 2nd runs where with it taped on the side near the bottom. For some reason AISuit will not give a temp for my CPU or motherboard ( once the temps drop below +5c ) unless I have the probe plugged into one of the temp sensors??? On my 3rd run, I had the probe sitting on top of the CPU with the F1 on top of it. I was good for about ~ 10 hours and then all of a sudden AISuit is reporting that my board is over 35c and my CPU temp ( which 10 minutes before was at -27c before running WPrime 1024) is @ -3c. The temps did not want to drop below -10c no matter how much DICE I added or IPA?????
Just before I gave up for the day ( I tried for 10 minutes to lower temps and at the end I was @ -13c ) I kept trying different solutions to help out on the temp problem. I lowered the CPU Freq/Volt that I was benching at, Increased the Memory timmings, Ect, Ect. No matter what I did, As soon as I started to stress the CPU even a little bit, I would immediately have the computer freeze on me or a BSOD telling me some file/driver was corrupted???
Maybe I had it to cold ( As you know, I do not have it properly insulated for cold benching) for too long and this was it's way of tell me something was wrong before it blew up on me.

I wrote to AMD about my RMA processors that I have received. I sent in a FX-8350 and a FX-8320 processors for RMA, I received a FX-8350 on Friday and today I received a FX-8350?? I don't know if they goofed or because of their new ZEN processor, they no longer have the FX-8320 in stock???

I wrote to AMD about my RMA processors that I have received. I sent in a FX-8350 and a FX-8320 processors for RMA, I received a FX-8350 on Friday and today I received a FX-8350?? I don't know if they goofed or because of their new ZEN processor, they no longer have the FX-8320 in stock???
Nothing wrong with 2 Fx 8350's unless you're just looking for points on the 8320.

Nothing wrong with 2 Fx 8350's unless you're just looking for points on the 8320.

That's what I was looking for. I got more point's for the same speed from my FX-8320 and FX-8370 submissions.

WELL..HUM... with 2 FX-8350's, I could like test to see which one is the better processor :)

I got my Sabertooth back from RMA today :thup: The wife asked me if I was going to upgrade my son's computer with it. I told her that I was looking to put it on e-bay for $130 for some extra cash for benching. His current setup (that I have borrowed for benching) is a Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 with a PII 1100t. Until I get my mounting problem fixed, I'm not sure when I will give it back :) With my mounting problem, I do not feel like I got every drop that the CPU could give me. Maybe I did maybe I didn't, Bones said that my runs with it where in line with what he got from his. I just feel that it had some more to give if tweeked properly.

With my mounting problem, I do not feel like I got every drop that the CPU could give me. Maybe I did maybe I didn't, Bones said that my runs with it where in line with what he got from his. I just feel that it had some more to give if tweeked properly.
Mount the pot make sure the tim is spread evenly and well, if it is then you're good to go. Personally, I would get a better temp probe. This way at least you'll know when you're at your coldest temps. I find, especially with my AMD chips that unless I run a particular chip multiple times, I really do not get a feel for what it likes. I said this previously but it did seem as if your 1100t really needed a lot of voltage for the overclocks you were achieving. It is possible that if you weren't getting a good mount, that you may be able to get the same clocks at less voltage and of get higher clocks at the same volts. Then again it could just be a voltage pig of a chip.

This is a FYI that I got from AMD about my question on the FX-8320!!!!!!!!!

Dear Customer,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200654549]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thanks for your email.

Yes! the second FX-8350 processor which you have received is a replacement for the FX-8320 processor.

Since the FX-8320 is a end of life part, we provided you FX-8350 as a replacement against the serial number (9H71473J21347-FD8320FRHKBOX).

No need to return the part again.

Thanks.

I have solved my mounting problem on the CPU :thup: I did some benching yesterday (I put dielectric in the CPU socket and all 4 Memory slots) and was able to hit 6.0 GHz with the second FX-8350 from AMD :thup:
Now the problem that I'm having is trying to keep the cold with the F1 :( I know it's a cheap probe but I was able to get to -30c for my validation @ 6.0. I switched to two (2) cores for my runs in Super Pi. When I started Super PI 32m I was @ -30c and watched it drop to -8c (this is with me stirring the DICE to try to keep computer from crashing) by the end of the run:( I could get the temps to -20c to -25c but as soon as I started a run, the temps would start to rise :(

Back