• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving To The Dark Side Of Cooling - Home Made Dice Pot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice Run M_M!! Ya the FX's put out some heat for sure. I think your issue here is pretty typical and is a limitation of DICE. You could try switching to Acetone as it will transfer the cold to the pot a little better than IPA. With my late FX4xxx I was able to get down to -76c but as soon as I started benching it would jump up to -18c fairly quick.

I'm at a loss, I have not benched my Fx 8350 on DICE yet but have benched the Fx 8120. The my temp readings when the pot is at it's lowest is around -80c, while benching even on all 8 cores never varies more then 20c. The only time I see temps spike is when I do not have enough DICE in the pot. Maybe it's because I'm taking my readings from a different spot on the pot. :shrug:

Mike you probably have a much better pot. The more mass it has the longer it will stay at a specific temp if my understanding is correct.

Mike you probably have a much better pot. The more mass it has the longer it will stay at a specific temp if my understanding is correct.
It's possible, it is a pretty big chunk of copper, hoping to use it again soon. :D

If the f1 is not holding load well it is a mounting issue

very heavy pot, once brought down it holds well , even using plain ice cubes

If the f1 is not holding load well it is a mounting issue

very heavy pot, once brought down it holds well , even using plain ice cubes

Since my last run, I tore down the board and started over again, I installed the proper conformal. I got a 4 hour run today :( I think I missed some areas as I had to stop today because I froze the motherboard :rofl:
I started my bench section in reverse, I know I did not do it in the proper order. Following E_D's advice on having 1/2" of IPA above the holes, I filled the pot with IPA first. On my last 4 tries, I have been unable to tell how much IPA I have in the pot. After the section is over I usually have 1/4" or less IPA in the pot:(
Doing it in reverse it took longer to get the pot cold as it wanted to bubble over the side but when I finally got the pot cold it was ON :) I got the pot to -25c and got only a few runs done before the board froze @ -26c (this was the whole board). This time the pot would heat up just like last time but within 25-30 seconds I could get the pot back down to -25c+

Just so you guys don't think I'm BSing you. Here is a pic of my new max freq with a FX-8350 :) Let me know if there was more that I could have got and if I should be working the FSB+Multi or just stay with Multi for now :)

CPU-Z @ 6.219.64.jpg

Would the Venom have worked better for DICE????
I will still keep the F1 as I do plan on using LN2 latter, I hope :)
Some of the Guys around Atlanta need to put together a group meeting for some Benching Fun :) I need at least a 2 month notice on the get together :)

Does it help getting the pot screwed down more = more pressure on CPU??????
Going tomorrow and picking up some Acetone to try. From what I have read, Acetone is only -8c better than IPA 91%.
I'm also working on picking up a thermometer (http://www.ebay.com/itm/151525509947?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) but I want to make sure that what I get has everything I need :)
Here's a CPU-Z Val from my testing with the first FX-8350 I got back from AMD. I was able to hit 5744 @ 1.548, I'm hoping this one takes less V = heat for xx freq :)

Again.... I thank all of the Benching Team for their help and advice :thup:

cpu-z validation.jpg

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???????

I have this 980Ti for a few days and want to get the most out of it... I have to push my FX-8350 to compete against the Intel guys. I started out the benching runs to redo my scores from my last runs with the 980Ti. I set the speed of the 8350 @ 5.8 and start pounding on the benches:) I have increased my scores in AquaMark, 3DMark 01 - 3DMark 05, but my runs fail in 3DMark 06 and up???? I know it is not the card as it is not getting hot before the run fails :( I have turned down the speed of the 8350 but having to drop from 5.8 to 5.2 is not competitive :( The 8350 is @ -69c and drops to -65c during the benching, is there something that I have over looked on prepping the board???? I had a problem with my first 5 runs where the outside memory slot would drop out after about 2 hours of benching. I got more eraser and finished the memory slots, I have not had the problem return in my last 3 benching runs.

Thank You For Your Time

06 is brutally on cpu. my 3570k acts the same way what's your voltage on the chip? Dropping only 4c during the bench you should be able to raise the voltage if you have any headroom left but that's better left to the AMD guy's

You're not doing that 980ti any justice benching on a AMD chip :(

06 is brutally on cpu. my 3570k acts the same way what's your voltage on the chip? Dropping only 4c during the bench you should be able to raise the voltage if you have any headroom left but that's better left to the AMD guy's

You're not doing that 980ti any justice benching on a AMD chip :(

^ I know that is the truth on that :thup:
I have the 8350 set to 5.8 @ 1.7v ~ 1.725v, she hit 6.2 with 1.875v (< I have been told that this was pushing it with DICE ) I figured that 5.8 would be a safe OC and still give me a little to help against the Intel guys :) Having to bump the speed down to 5.2 to 5.3 just to get the processor to complete a bench run killed what ever advantage the K|NGP|N 980Ti gives me :( I have a TEK-9 inbound but without my CPU rocking it is not going to help :( I'm hoping to be able to rock with a Asus 290x Matrix from a trade with Shawn but again if I can't get my Proc to rock :(
My next mobo/cpu upgrade will be in spring when AMD releases the ZEN :)

I also backed the CPU down to 5.6 @ 1.625v and 5.5 @ 1.6125v and still could not get successful run :( This is after benching the CPU for 4+ hours :) I even switch out my memory to see if that helped any, replace my Crucial Elite - 2 x 2GB 9-10-9-24 @ 2133 for G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2 x 4GB 9-11-10-27 @ 2133.

As others and I have said, AMD is not worth the time to bench 3D, at all (unless it is an APU). The chips just do not have the performance.

MM, regarding your last post, as much as I would like AMD to put out something remotely competitive with Zen, I imagine it will come out being competitive with what Intel had 3 years beforehand. (similar to how the 8350/8370 can compete with Sandy Bridge... sort of)

If you want any decent points with the 980Ti MM you need to go Intel. Maybe if you were running Ln2 and were in the high 6's with the 8350 you would have a shot. My 4770k at 5.1 smokes my 8350 @ near 5.4 Example:
3d 01 4770k 5.1 ghz/5850 990/1145
3d 01 8350 5375 Mhz/5850 1000/1145

I would like to go the LN2 route but as I'm still to much of a novice I'm afraid to touch it. I would like to sit in on some LN2 benching by you guys so that I know what I'm doing when I try it myself :thup:

We at one time seemingly ever weekend had someone benching subzero and live streaming it. I know that our participation has been down (including myself), hopefully the next time someone is doing some sub-ambient benching they will hook up to their webcam and we can watch. I've definitely had a ton of fun chatting with everyone here and learned a lot during those livestream events.

Back