• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS ACCESS enter new data without having ability to delete existing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

Is there a way to give a user permission to enter new information into a database without allowing them to delete existing entries?

We have an mdb at work, that I rebuilt making only one field mandatory (no duplicates) which is a work order number. Addresses are divided into three fields (House number, street name, city) then I have some other fields about the type of work performed.

I think I have 9 or ten fields in all for each work order number, and there are about 12000 jobs in the current database.

I am not sure why,:mad: but entire records are disappearing from the database. I can't make the database readonly because people have to be able to enter data into it.

Currently everyone is accessing the mdb stored on a network drive.

If I can't give someone edit but not delete permission can I merge two databases periodically, previewing records that have had a field or two changed, even if the workorder number is a duplicate?

Sorry if I am not asking the question succienctly.

Thanks for any assistance.

I'm not sure of the extent of Access's user permissions, it's probably not as straightforward as other DB software (ie, grant select, insert on table..) Here's a quick googlefu with some information about permissions.

The best solution, though, is probably to create a form to insert or update records, and give users access to that form and not the DB directly. End users shouldn't really ever be directly modifying a database.. especially if multiple users access it.

Great, thanks for the info guys. I will try to peruse through those links over the next couple of days.

Will post back with more questions I am sure!

PS> .MDB IIRC is access 2000 but we have 2003 and 2007 running on our desktops now.

Back