• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSi 790FX GD70 dying??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S_I_N

ok so my step sons rig comprising of

MSi 790FX GD70
955 BE NO OC
2x4GB GSkill 1600 memory
Asus Strix 970
WD 1TB Black
Corsair A50 cooler
600watt Cooler Master psu

Issues started when he got a repair windows message he bypassed it a few times and then finally allowed it to complete. Anywho it seems as the usb and nics are no longer working I HAVE REINSTALLED THE DRIVERS FOR BOTH BUT ALAS NO HELP. Seeing as its an older setup and I got the board second hand sometime ago (2-4 yrs) I'm guessing that its slowly dying. All I can get from him outside the 2 issues I posted about is its been acting very weird of late lol. I've done a hdd test and mem test and those pass fine.

Any suggestions??

Maybe he needs a fresh Os install or a BIOS flash? Though I would also check for bulging caps on the board.

It could be the caps are going bad, if you're feeling it you could re cap the board?!? It's not hard per se but does take a whole lot of patience.

IMHO it's not worth it for such an older setup we've had it for at least 3 years now and it was second hand when we got it so looking to upgrade him

Reinstall on standby hdd didn't help

IMHO it's not worth it for such an older setup we've had it for at least 3 years now and it was second hand when we got it so looking to upgrade him

Reinstall on standby hdd didn't help
Sure sounds like it's the board. Try running memtest for at least 4 passes, might be worth a shot.

The GD70 was a good board in its time, probably the last decent board from MSI. You are lucky you got as much time out of it as you did as they seemed to fail after about 2 years if they had been pushed at all. My board went out just like yours is not acting funny then just dead one day. I tried to rMA it but was refused..... bought my first formula that day been happy ever since. Might be time to look for another board.

Was never pushed by me stepson isn't into overclocking but yeah time to look for a whole new setup get him caught up with this century lol

Back