• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Z87-G45 dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrkubanftw

Registered
Hey guys- iv had a pretty depressing morning. So I have the listed motherboard.

I7-4770k

MSI Z87-G45

GSKILL SNIPER 1866Ghz 2x4GB

ASUS GTX 780 OC-DC2

H110 liquid cooler 4x140mm push/pull

Alright so I did a delid on the 4770K last night (vice method) everything went well as far as I can tell. Ran a base prime95 test at stock clocks and was seeing no more than 54C. Major success- being down from 70ish before the delid.

Okay so I clocking it up little by little, ended up being pretty stable for 30 minutes at 4.7ghz and here's my settings for the clock

CPU Voltage
1.5v
CPU Frequency
CPU Multiplier
CPU Ring Ratio
43(4300
CPU Ring Voltage
1.2v
System Agent Voltage
1.088v / (+ .250)
I/O Analog Voltage
1.2v / (+ .1950
I/O Digital Voltage
----- / (+ .1950)
BLCK

Ram running at 1600mhz @1.65

After around 30 minutes I was seeing temps never going above 80c. From what iv seen, not that bad. So I realize I'm running higher Core and Dram voltage to keep it stable. After running prime95 for about an hour temps looked good again hitting around 80 max but not sitting there.

So I fire prime95 up this morning to get an endurance test on this clock- well about 30 minutes in the box shuts off. Only this time not to turn back on. It fires but only for about a second and kills right away. Doesn't try to restart itself. So I shorted something somewhere. If it's the board no big deal it's 3 weeks old. The processor I just voided the warranty on. Based on the temps I saw I have a hard time seeing it as the CPU even though I was pushing 1.5v. I see people kicking 1.65 as long as temp is under control. Ram on the other hand I was pushing pretty good (will be testing ram in the next hour with 2 of the exact same sticks from another build). Honestly though i can't seem but think it's the board, after reading around I heard these have slightly weaker VRMs. I have a case started with newegg, i can ship it out tomorrow. I just am slightly worried I fried the processor.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Experiences to share?

Have you tried pulling/swapping components to try and narrow down what's causing it?

^^ yeah - I would definitely go down to the basic setup and try one stick of ram at a time and see if that goes anywhere. Is there a debug LED on the G45? I can't remember - if so see what it displays.

!!!!!!!!!! 1.5v on that poor little chip? I think that may not be just the motherboard..

Man that sucks.

I think 1.5v on a 4770k is a death wish unless you are going cold like ln2 or dice. Even though 80c doesn't seem that bad at those voltages it can be deadly to haswell. It could be the motherboard but even if it is I would still dial down on the core voltage and shoot for 4.4ghz. In my personal experience I stay away from Msi boards because I had similar event on my old 1156 setup where my board took out the ram and cpu. It was a very bad and costly day because of poor voltage regulation on the board and the fact I was pushing to hard.

yeah I kinda missed that - plus running prime is not the smartest way to test stability as its just a way to break things. Using it to do your daily tasks is the ideal way and then tweak if an issue. I am pretty sure you didn't build that machine to crunch on the cpu 100% of the time.

All of what's been said so far is fair. In all honesty you shouldn't have gone with such a mediocre board with intent for such high clocks. A mpower or GD65 would have been much better suited for these applications.

I'll have a better idea about ram shortly but that's about the only component I can test. As far as the high vcore I'll refer to this post-

http://www.overclock.net/t/1426444/max-safe-voltage-for-4770k-24-7-under-water

Where I found several people saying 1.5v was max core voltage. Others were saying 1.4 but it's not like I was far off that mark. Iv done quite a bit with my fx8350 and that thing pushes into the red zone for temps. This wasn't even close.

One thing I will say is I overestimated the quality of this board. From the reviews iv read it's a decent board for OC for not a huge dent in the wallet. Until I googled failure and people are complaining about vrms blowing up.

Since i am only able to get a exchange and not a full return, I am forced to stay with this board, in which case I would obviously dial down the clock and vcore to what i now see fit based on the recent experience.

did you try using the slow boot? maybe it's going so fast.. you don't have a chance to get into bios?

Did you read our guide to OCing here? I think it starts you at 1.2V. I would point fingers to a dead CPU.

It's the board. MSi has junk vrms. You'll fry the vrm before you even have a chance to fry the CPU.

Back