• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 990FXA-GD65 990FX or Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1.524Volts to the cpu for just 4.0Ghz should be a plenty. Well unless that cpu is just not primo.

The ram only clocked to about DDR1333 with 1T command rate might be a problem. I would change to 2T command rate just to be sure.

I might also just bump the ram voltage to 1.55V just ensure the ram has enough voltage. i do this with most of my ram since it is not hurting anything but it sure can remove a possible problem.

CPU_NB and HT Frequency at 2000Mhz each should not be a problem. If can get the thing stable first you might then try for more CPU_NB frequency for some extra performance.

55c temp on the cores has over the last few years caused some stability problems and onset of stability right about that Core/Package temp.

You must have the CPU_LLC setting on Extreme since the CPU Vcore is not fluctuating much at all and is remaining quite high for that 4.0Ghz speed.

Okay, I actually went back to your post above mine saying to put up the 3 Cpuz's and the HWMonitor capture and you have the ram Voltage increased already. I would try the Command Rate to 2T and see. Otherwise the only "red flag" I see is the Core Temp being at 55c which has been an issue before with other posters.

There is one other thing that 'might' be a problem since we are at the point of checking everything and that is in raising the Vcore, did you do it in large jumps and jump over the best voltage to the cpu and are now over-driving the CPU. I had a budd do that on his FX-8350 and it just fell on its' face. It can happen to any sensitive cpu.

I have hit the major things I would be looking into in your position. My first concern I think would be 2T ram and core temp of cpu.
RGone...

I've reduced the core clock to 3.9GHz with 1.452v and decided to clock the CPU/NB frequency instead. I'm at 2600 atm with 1.2*something* in volt. I haven't stress-tested yet since last reboot, but I noticed something weird in UEFI:

130519122723.BMP

130519122819.BMP

130519122826.BMP

130519122831.BMP

As you can see, first of all it says It's 2 different manufactuers(spelling?), and second it says different tRFC.

Is this something I need to fix somehow?
The weird thing is, when I bought the memory, I bought x2 kits of the same.

Edit: Okay so I increased the LLC to 100%(extreme) and it also increased my volt a bit on the cpu to 1.476 and the max temp so far is 54c but right now on 52c.

I also changed the 1T to 2T. Only been running for 5min atm, but no errors *yay*
Edit 2: Still running after 20 min

Edit 3: Ok, so I got a bluescreen after ~25 minutes. I increased the CPU/NB voltage a little. Running P95 blend again now :)

Edit 4: Bleh.. Got the error again. "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4"
Edit 5: yay, "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 1.722626857c+018, expected less than 0.4"
The hell? :p

Last edited:
My guess that the different memories don't like each other.

yeah.. But that's the really werid part. When I ordered them 2 years ago or something like that, I bought the same kit x2. I don't think I can RMA them anymore either.

That does suck. Aside from suggesting you replace them (2x4GB sticks will be much easier on the IMC anyway), I really don't know man.

I've stepped down the CPU/NB frequency to 2400, lowered the volt one snap or so, also with the RAM voltage and I've been running it now for about 30 minutes. If it's good for another 1.5 hour I'll try these settings over night later today.

Edit: Ofc I got the beautiful BSOD right about after I wrote this message. :p
I took away the cpu/nb clock and such. Gonna see if my 3.9 is stable.

Last edited:
First I'd set the memory command rate to 2T. Then raise the NB speed to around 2400 do this at 3.8 till you have that stable. Then go for 3.9
EDIT: Sorry I was away from my machine I see you've done all that already.

First I'd set the memory command rate to 2T. Then raise the NB speed to around 2400 do this at 3.8 till you have that stable. Then go for 3.9
EDIT: Sorry I was away from my machine I see you've done all that already.

Didn't seem to get the cpu/nb stable at 2400. And after stress testing with 3,9Ghz I got some bluescreens so I decided I should stay at 3.8Ghz and perhaps increase the nb later.

Good idea. Will try it later tonight or when I feel like it :p Been a bad computer-day for me!

I may as well stay on 3.8Ghz for now. Thinking of getting new mem sticks anyway.
Any good suggestion what to get? I'd prefer x2 sticks with at least 8gb, with cooling ofc.

You probably don't need new sticks, unless you're benching the system I doubt you'll notice mush of a difference from 1333-1600mhz.

That wasn't the point either, to feel difference. The idea was to actually get 8gb of the same memory, 2 sticks that also works good with overclocking.
Those I have right now is pure budget.

We have seen instances where Kingston Memory doesn't play nice with AMD Chips. I have never had an issue with G.Skills and I've also run Geil with mine without issue. I would get the cheapest Cl9 Ddr3 1600's you can find. If you can find Cl8 for the right price just get those.

Well then I can choose between:
Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP
Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE

So which one's the best? Besides one is low profile and the other one is high profile. Better heat-removal on the non-low profile?

Balyn the heatspreaders are more of a gimmick then anything, unless you're planning on benching I would just get the cheapest set with the lowest timings. The second ones Johan listed would be my choice.

cool.

Yeah I bought the Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL8 1600Mhz VENGEANCE
(CL8) today so I'll get them tomorrow

Which one of these do you think would give the most performance?
1: Overclock the cpu to 4.0Ghz w/o cpu/nb memory
2: stay at 3.8GHz and overclock cpu/nb and memory?

Usually a combination of both works the best. Use some benches to see for yourself. I tend to use 3D benches since I optimize for gaming

Back