• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI B350M Gaming Pro won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

Good day,

I am trying to setup a new build for my friend;

MSI B350M Gaming Pro
Ryzen 5 2600
Corsair Vengeance 2x4 LPX 3200
Seasonic M12ii 620
EVGA GTX 960 SSC

I am getting a "CPU" LED as the MSI EZ-Debug code. Will NOT post. (no signal on screen). Fans run, CPU LED lights immediately.

1. Re-sat CPU twice
2. Tried a single stick of ram, each slot
3. Ran barebones with only cpu and ram
4. Reset CMOS as per MSI instructions
5. Tried another pair of ram sticks from another working build (same model ram except black)
6. Removed mobo from case and placed on mobo box, with only CPU/RAM/GPU connected.

After some research and contacting MSI, it looks like we need to update the BIOS using an older CPU. My friend just ordered a Ryzen 3 1200 just for that purpose, with the intent to return it once we update the BIOS.

Yesterday I was looking around and people were also reporting that some 3200 ram was also causing this "CPU" LED and no boot. Now I am worried that my friend also needs to order new RAM? This is getting frustrating..

Any opinions / insight?

Thanks

You hit the nail on the head already I'd imagine...

it looks like we need to update the BIOS using an older CPU

You won't know about the RAM until that BIOS is updated and the new CPU works (though, you will find out if it is the ram when you put the compatible CPU in before the BIOS flash...

Replacing with Ryzen 1200 allowed a post and BIOS. Update complete, swap for the Ryzen 2600 and... Oh no! CPU light still on. But after about 5 seconds it started flickering between different EZ leds and finally dissapeared and I was greeted with a reassuring POST with F settings for BIOS setup. Installed win 10 and did a quick cpu test, the 2600 is firing on all cylinders. Friend is happy, he now has a beast of a workstation.

Just wanted to update for any others with this issue.

Oh btw I never looked into the RAM speed, it displayed as 2133 and I never tried to boot that ram any higher, based in his needs.

Replacing with Ryzen 1200 allowed a post and BIOS. Update complete, swap for the Ryzen 2600 and... Oh no! CPU light still on. But after about 5 seconds it started flickering between different EZ leds and finally dissapeared and I was greeted with a reassuring POST with F settings for BIOS setup. Installed win 10 and did a quick cpu test, the 2600 is firing on all cylinders. Friend is happy, he now has a beast of a workstation.

Oh btw I never looked into the RAM speed, it displayed as 2133 and I never tried to boot that ram any higher, based in his needs.

Congratulations :clap::thup: Clad you got it going.

I would still try and get that ram running at a minimum 2933, XMP would be better. With Ryzen RAM speed affects more than memory bandwidth and it could make the system a bit sluggish

Back