• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI DrMos HOT HOT HOT!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K93George

Registered
Hi Guys,

So I got an MSI 890FX-GD70 and it is one difficult board to O.C, I have got a nice 4.1Ghz @ 1.3875v with my 1090T which is great, but to go any higher the MOSFET get's far too hot (90c +), the PC will switch off randomly 30min into a Prime95 run, instantly, no BSOD, just off and thats that!

As for CPU temps, around 38c MAX on the CPU (not core temps, they are lower and I don't actually monitor them each and every time)

I am definitely buying a new board, one with Bulldozer support 990FX as this board just doesn't cut it when it comes to providing voltage anywhere above 1.4v

Well, what do you guys think? I have 4 case fans, 1 Scythe Kaze 3000 exhausting air at the top rear, 2 "stock" case fans at the top, exhausting air (I will replace them) and 1 Scythe Kaze 3000 at the lower front intaking fresh air (infront of the HDD)

I could work on adding a fan above the MOSFET but would it really help? It already has 2 fans surrounding it (rear and top fan)

Well, that is exactly right, I couldn't imagine myself anything else getting that hot. Although I am not 100% certain of the MOSFETs reaching that temp, but what else in the BIOS does DrMOS report?

The unfortunate thing is that these 90c + temps are read AFTER the computer has shut down, so you could imagine they are probably much hotter, as they have had a bit of time to cool down after the Prime95 stress test.

The heatsink to the touch is exceptionally hot and I know my hand is not good at measuring heat, but this was HOT.

I have the same board, and have never had any issues like that. Looks like the consensus is you got a bad board (happens unfortunately) and need to RMA it.

The plus side, is this board, with the latest Bios is AM3+

There is no way in hell I would use this 4 + 2 phase board to run the Bulldozer CPU, sure it uses the same amount of power, but considering th 1090T O.C consumes more than 200w at load, I can sort of see why this board is having difficulty lol

I had the MSI 890FX-GD70 amd was playing around with my 1090T when I was waiting for my new Asus board. No mater what I did I could never get it over the 4.2GHZ mark and eventuaslly the board gave in and something popped. I think I have a screen shot in the AMD results section somewhere. Your board is working fine.

Back