• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI G41M-P33 Clock speed way too high

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzz_pucker

I have a very odd problem, which is slightly ironic to be posting in the Overclocker Forums. I need to find a way to underclock! I have a motherboard I recently picked up, and I've run into a big problem that I'm not sure how to correct so some insight would be greatly appreciated. I will share the problem and attempted solutions, then list my system specs.

I have a MSI G41M-P33 motherboard, with a E7500 Intel CPU. The CPU is a Core2Duo, with a stock clock of 2.93GHZ. The problem is, that at stock BIOS settings, the MSI bios/motherboard automatically overclocks the chip to an unstable 3.6GHZ. This would be great, but causes me many problems and doesn't last more than 10 seconds in Mprime(Prime95 for linux).

I can't, for the life of me find out how to get this chip back down to factory speeds. The Multiplier is locked on the CPU at 11, which is the stock ratio, but the BIOS automatically sets the FSB to 333mhz, instead of the CPU's stock FSB of 266. I can't get the FSB any lower than 333mhz, and can only adjust it between 333mhz and 833mhz.

I have tried loading "Optimized Defaults" and "Fail-Safe Defaults" from within the BIOS, but neither lowered the FSB. I have searched the BIOS for any performance modes or anything that could effect this. I have flashed the BIOS to the newest version available on MSI's website, which is v7.C.

I'm really stumped on this one and would really like any insight from anyone who has experience with MSI boards/BIOS settings.

Specs:
Mobo: MSI G41M-P33
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 @ 2.93GHZ
BIOS: v7.C
RAM: Corsair XMS3 1333mhz (clocked at 1066mhz) 2x2GB
GPU: GTS 250
PSU: 600w OCZ GameXstream

Im not sure but its possible that the motherboard doesnt support the lower bus rates. I would try just bumping the CPU vCore up a notch or two and see if that sorts your stability issue.

Im not sure but its possible that the motherboard doesnt support the lower bus rates. I would try just bumping the CPU vCore up a notch or two and see if that sorts your stability issue.

On the side of the screen, the little "help" description tells me that the FSB can be anywhere from 200mhz to 700mhz. Though this is obviously not accurate as I can take it up to 833mhz, I am still going to hold onto the hope it can go to 266 haha.
I have tried to bump up the Vcore to about 1.35 which is higher than I am comfortable running it at full time, and it made very little difference when it came to Mprime.

Thank you for your reply. Still trying to figure this one out.

that is rather odd...
flash the bios?

It is quite odd. I have been working with computers for years, but this one has me stumped. I'm just hoping someone has some experience with this problem.
I have flashed the BIOS, twice. Once to upgrade it and a second time just to be sure.

I'm running a MSI G41M-P33 motherboard with E6850 and ran into the same problem.I overclocked it till it couldnt boot and reset bios. So then i just overclocked it back to 3.8GHz FSB to 1690MHz Vcore at 1.49750 volts and it runs fine at 60-64 c full load . This was my most stable run so I'm keeping it here!

Back