• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard & Athlon 64 3200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hektik100

Registered
I recently got the MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard with a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Newcastle core cpu. I got everything workin with one problem. When i hit restart the computer will not post after a restart. The computer hangs at post nothing will display, the monitor wont turn on. What i have to do to get it to work is shut off the computer and then start it up again and everything will work fine. Why is this?

At first when i put it all together i couldnt get the computer to boot at all. All that would work is the fans and nothing more. Playing around with it for a few hours i got it to post once and when i hit save in bios it wouldnt start back up. Just the fans would spin. The computer would not post nor boot. When i finally got it to post i got into bios and checked all the settings and hit save, but when i restarted the computer would hang, no post nor boot. Then it took about 10 or so different trys to make it so it would at least post and turn the monitor on and i went into bios and raised all the vcores for the ram, cpu, and agp and now the computer posts. But i need to restart it in order for the computer to post and boot into windows Because if i just hit F10 to save out of bios it saves the changes but will not post till i power it down and then turn it back on again. Then finally it will load into windows.

Why is it doing this? There are no errors that the speaker is sounding. I have 2 Maxtor 40 gig hdd, 2x 256mb PC 2100 Ram 1 is generic and 1 is Corsair. 500 Watt power supply. I've tryed the computer with different ram PNY PC 3200 512 and still didnt post. I even tryed with a different power supply and a different hard drive. All with the same results

What do you guys think? is the motherboard bad or am i missing something in bios?

I had a similar experience with a different motherboard. It turned out the powersupply was the problem. I guess AMD boards havea different length of timing or maybe different current requirement to reset the board. I actually couldnt turn mine off in windows. I would tell it to and it would try but the reset or off signal from the board wouldnt trip the powersupply.
If you have another powersupply you can try it might be worth a shot.
I just borrowed my friends for an hour then brought it back to him.

Good Luck

Wardog

wardog50 said:
I had a similar experience with a different motherboard. It turned out the powersupply was the problem. I guess AMD boards havea different length of timing or maybe different current requirement to reset the board. I actually couldnt turn mine off in windows. I would tell it to and it would try but the reset or off signal from the board wouldnt trip the powersupply.
If you have another powersupply you can try it might be worth a shot.
I just borrowed my friends for an hour then brought it back to him.

Good Luck

Wardog

I tryed an older 300Watt psu and it did the same thing.

Back