• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI P43 Neo3 concerns?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jwilliams

Registered
I just purchased the MSI P43 Neo3-F (PCB 1.0) a few weeks ago

I did do my research and looked around a bit but I was looking for a good stable board under $100. I even saw a review on Tom's Hardware that was favorable. Now I've been seeing on different boards how bad MSI is. I don't really want to feel like I wasted my money but is this particular board crap?

well not many here would buy MSI.. for the most part people would buy a P43 based board from Asus, Gigabyte, Biostar, DFI before MSI.

Does that just mean it's not much of an overclockers board or is it a waste of money? I'm ok with a board that just "does the job" but if it's a hindrance that's another thing.

well looks like it should be good for a dual core ocing. should see better 45nm quad core ocing vs 65nm. thought i suggest getting a board with more then 4 phase pwm if your tring to oc a quad core to 3.6-3.8ghz. 4 phase pwm is oc for around 3.2-3.4ghz... i guess most people just go with what is more popular and has results. that isnt to say MSI and ocing is a bad thing... its just like with foxconn, not many people put OCing with foxconn till the mars board i think.. forget which one that really put them on the map for good ocing boards...

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll see how easily Amazon takes it back and if not I'll just stick with it. I still wasn't completely sure which way I was going to go, quad or duo but ether way I was hoping for a 45 nm chip. I wasn't going to go crazy with the overclocking (just what I could get by on air) so maybe it won't be too bad anyway. Funny thing is, before I decided on MSI I was looking at foxconn so either I'm unlucky or just cheap lol

cheap is open box at newegg on Asus/Gigabyte/Biostar/DFI boards :thup:
i picked up a,err P43, biostar board for $60ish open box. got lucky and it came full retail, i havent had any issues with the board...

I've had great luck with my last 3 or 4 MSI boards and I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

My P45 Neo3-FR has been north of 550FSB easily but I think i'm ram limited.

Back