• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Msi X50 Gaming edge wont boot SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blingo

Ok so recently I got a new 2 TB HDD.

My SSD has Windows 10 installed and my old HDD has windows 7 .
When I start my computer windows ask me to select windows 10(SSD) or windows 7(HDD)

But when I remove the HDD
I get an error saying no boot drive!

I updated the bios,
I changed the priority of what to boot first to the ssd .

But it wont boot windows on its on or with my new 2TB HDD

Im losing my mind i cant find the answer , please help me .

Thank you.

Sounds like you installed Windows 10 while you had more than one drive connected. That is a no no. Windows has a way of spreading necessary system files onto multiple drives if you give it the opportunity. You should always disconnect all but the drive intended to be the system drive when you do a Windows installation.

Yeah I did do that, I never knew it was a bad thing.

I'm learning the hard way now, but what do i do? Do i have to do a clean install?? I really don't want to.

If you didnt...

...Change the boot order to the option that says windows boot manager for the drive you want, not the actual drive.

If you didnt...

...Change the boot order to the option that says windows boot manager for the drive you want, not the actual drive.

Do this in the bios? If we are talking about the same thing then I did this in the bios

Do i have to do this in windows?

Can you give me a little bit more details?

If it were me, I'd leave the Windows 7 hard drive connected to the system so you can boot up into Windows. Use a free program called "produkey" by a company called Nirsoft to extract the product keys for Windows 10 and any Microsoft software you have. You can use those product keys to download and activate those Microsoft products.

I would then back up all your data (docs, pics, etc.) to an external drive.

I would then attach only the SSD to the sysem and do a clean install of Windows 10.

Then reformat the HD add it back into the system.

Then add programs and data back in.

But one thing I'm not clear on. Is the only change you are making to the system the additon of the SSD? Or are you starting with a new motherboard as well?

Do this in the bios? If we are talking about the same thing then I did this in the bios

Do i have to do this in windows?

Can you give me a little bit more details?
Yes. In the bios. Just making sure what you seleteced actually said windows boot manager with the drive and not the drive itself.

But yes, a pitfal of installing 10 with another OS. :)

If it were me, I'd leave the Windows 7 hard drive connected to the system so you can boot up into Windows. Use a free program called "produkey" by a company called Nirsoft to extract the product keys for Windows 10 and any Microsoft software you have. You can use those product keys to download and activate those Microsoft products.

I would then back up all your data (docs, pics, etc.) to an external drive.

I would then attach only the SSD to the sysem and do a clean install of Windows 10.

Then reformat the HD add it back into the system.

Then add programs and data back in.

But one thing I'm not clear on. Is the only change you are making to the system the additon of the SSD? Or are you starting with a new motherboard as well?

Yeah I pretty much did what you said.

The only thing I was adding was a HDD. I was removing the windows 7 one and adding the 2TB one I just bought.
I got the motherboard and ryzen 5 when it first released I dont know how long ago that was now.

Thanks for everything. I will never install an os with two drives connected again.

Ok so recently I got a new 2 TB HDD.

My SSD has Windows 10 installed and my old HDD has windows 7 .
When I start my computer windows ask me to select windows 10(SSD) or windows 7(HDD)

But when I remove the HDD
I get an error saying no boot drive!

I updated the bios,
I changed the priority of what to boot first to the ssd .

But it wont boot windows on its on or with my new 2TB HDD

Im losing my mind i cant find the answer , please help me .

Thank you.

The Boot Manager for the dual boot is on the drive with Win 7, so when you remove that drive it won't boot. Get EasyBCD to remove the Win 7 so you can put the other drive in and remove the Win 7 drive. (I think this is what your wanting to do)
Also, the install order for dual boot is older OS's 1st, Linux last. Exp: XP, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10, Linux.
I have XP and Win 10 on 2 drives with no issues (XP on drive 0 and Win 10 on drive 1)

p.s. Don't you mean MSI X570 Gaming edge MB? :)

Last edited:
Back