• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Z87-G43 GAMING

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mag10

Anyone have any experience with this motherboard? Keep in mind this is NOT the standard MSI Z87-G43. Linky

Seriously, no one has anything on this motherboard? I've only been able to find 2 "reviews" on this board and its hard to get a good idea of what this board is actually capable of. So if someone could please enlighten me I would appreciate it!

The handful that I have seen come through have had issues.

Well Im looking for a decent OC board for about the $120-150 price point, would you suggest something that doesn't have as many issues?

The handful that I have seen come through have had issues.
What issues? I am curious.

To OP: At a high level, I don't see anything wrong with this offering. Looks like 6 phases for power, either 4+2 or 5+1 (CPU/mem). They have heatsinks on them. No idea what is below them, but, it will(should) easily handle any overclock on air/water you can throw at it (4.3-4.7Ghz). :shrug:

Understand that, since Sandybridge (think P67/I7 2600K), motherboards really have not been nearly as big a factor in overclocking as was in the previous generations. Unlocked multi's and very limited BCLK adjustments are that cause, more or less. For a decent overclocking board, a few, heatsinked power phases are all that most people really need and the G43 provides that.

What issues? I am curious.

Same here, I have head of the regular Z87-G43 having problems but not specifically the "Gaming" versions.

To OP: At a high level, I don't see anything wrong with this offering. Looks like 6 phases for power, either 4+2 or 5+1 (CPU/mem). They have heatsinks on them. No idea what is below them, but, it will(should) easily handle any overclock on air/water you can throw at it (4.3-4.7Ghz). :shrug:

I believe it has been stated to have 4+2. I am looking for 4.6-5.0 if possible, I may end up trading this out for a different version later on if it is unachievable. Ill probably wait to trade out when 1150 is phased out and get a good deal on 1 if i do that.

I added more to my previous post, note...

Unless you get a GREAT CPU and/or willing to delid, you will not be getting much over 4.6Ghz for daily driving duties.

Yeah, regular version and the GD45. Whoops! They need more variation in their name other than "gaming" behind everything.

I added more to my previous post, note...

Unless you get a GREAT CPU and/or willing to delid, you will not be getting much over 4.6Ghz for daily driving duties.

I saw that when I went to quote you lol, as for deliding... Ill hold off on that for the initial build, but when it comes time I want to try and squeeze some more juice out it is definitely something I'm considering. 4.6 is the minimum Im looking at OCing to with this. When I revamp for the water setup I will have more than enough cooling to push 5.0Ghz.

Oh and this is the first Intel build I have done since a 775 Celeron(NOT BY MY CHOICE!)

Last edited:
Yeah, regular version and the GD45. Whoops! They need more variation in their name other than "gaming" behind everything.

Yeah it makes looking for reviews quite irritating!

The reason im looking at this is because of this: Newegg Deal Just at a start up, will be upgrading to 16GB later.

Last edited:
I saw that when I went to quote you lol, as for deliding... Ill hold off on that for the initial build, but when it comes time I want to try and squeeze some more juice out it is definitely something I'm considering. 4.6 is the minimum Im looking at OCing to with this. When I revamp for the water setup I will have more than enough cooling to push 5.0Ghz.
That is what you think... :D

I have a PA120.2 and MCR320 cooling ONLY my CPU which is a good one, well, above average at least (was great before I degraded it, LOL!). I need 1.49v to be 'stable' at 4.9Ghz. And my temps, without delidding, are at the max (and this is in a 20-21C room with my fans cranked). No way I would run over 1.4-1.45v 24/7 if I planned on keeping my CPU like you did your last one.

You will need a good chip, and likely have to delid it to reach that goal. Im a betting man and wouldn't bet on your 5Ghz goal...though it is possible, just not likely.

That is what you think... :D

I have a PA120.2 and MCR320 cooling ONLY my CPU which is a good one, well, above average at least (was great before I degraded it, LOL!). I need 1.49v to be 'stable' at 4.9Ghz. And my temps, without delidding, are at the max (and this is in a 20-21C room with my fans cranked). No way I would run over 1.4-1.45v 24/7 if I planned on keeping my CPU like you did your last one.

You will need a good chip, and likely have to delid it to reach that goal. Im a betting man and wouldn't bet on your 5Ghz goal...though it is possible, just not likely.

Well I am looking at 420mm Alphacool NexXxos UT30/UT60 and 280mm Alphacool NexXxos Monsta Radiators for my initial build. I have no accurate way to diagnose my current ambient temp however the current GPU i have with aftermarket AIR cooling hovers around 20C idle, which leads me to believe my ambient is around 15-20C max. So I doubt cooling will be much of an issue. The CPU lottery however is another story all together lol

And my last one? Honestly if your referring to the celeron, all I did was assemble the thing and handed it off to its owner. I honestly have no clue what its Freq. or voltage was lol

You like your room cold I guess... 15C is a cold room (59F. Typical house is 70-72F/~22C). Most GPUs I have idle almost 10C more than ambient...(open air/benching station).

Yeah, you have a bit more rad than me, however, the raddage isn't really the main issue. Its getting the heat out of the chip. You will more than likely NEED to delid. I would check the voltage on the CPU first. If you need more than 1.45v for 5Ghz, I would say you lost the lottery and do not delid.

What I meant by 'like your old chip' was simply meant how long you kept it. You are rolling the dice rocking 1.45v+ 24/7 with ambient cooling.

You like your room cold I guess... 15C is a cold room (59F. Typical house is 70-72F/~22C). Most GPUs I have idle almost 10C more than ambient...(open air/benching station).

Yeah, you have a bit more rad than me, however, the raddage isn't really the main issue. Its getting the heat out of the chip. You will more than likely NEED to delid. I would check the voltage on the CPU first. If you need more than 1.45v for 5Ghz, I would say you lost the lottery and do not delid.

What I meant by 'like your old chip' was simply meant how long you kept it. You are rolling the dice rocking 1.45v+ 24/7 with ambient cooling.

I see what you mean, as for the 5Ghz question, hopefully I will be able to get a good chip that requires less voltage, i mean the current CPU I'm using likes 1.3-1.4v then again its amd and they love heat lol

Anyhow back on topic, considering the g45/g65 of the gaming series tend to produce similar results as $200+ motherboards for a much lower cost, I would say the G43 is basically a step or 2 below either and their higher cost competition. From what I can discern is the voltage regulation(coupled with a good PSU) is quite high on this series of boards as they seem to not push as many watts as others in similar categories. Also, I just noticed there's actually 7 SFC's not sure of the 1 in between the 2 heatsinks is apart of the other 6?

Not sure on that either. Perhaps 5+2 in that case? Regardless, your limit will be heat or voltage on the CPU, not the board. :)

Not sure on that either. Perhaps 5+2 in that case? Regardless, your limit will be heat or voltage on the CPU, not the board. :)

Well its pretty much always been that way hasnt it? I mean back in the day I got a 3600+ that loved to do 3.5Ghz(1.9Ghz stock) without voltage increases, I miss that chip :rain:

Prior to Sandybridge on Intel (think s1156, s1366, and s775) no. The board had a strong possibility to be the weak link because of FSB clocking.

Not sure on AMD. I haven't seen one of those since my Opty 180 back in the day when they smoked Intel. :)

Last edited:
Haha those were the days! Oh and I found this Its actually quite insightful!

Last edited:
Back