• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Z87-G45 Dead DIMM 1/2 slots? How to salvage to use dual channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazzyftw

Hey, so i recently installed a Seidon 240M cooler and somehow post installation, my comp refuses to boot up when placing my sticks on the first and second DIMM slots. Board is about a week old so i really have no idea why those slots would die on me, i didnt even bang them or anything of the sort. I have the sticks placed on the 3rd and 4th DIMM slots, and so far its running stable but only allows me to run them single channel.

Before i installed the Seidon, i had a EVO 212 running and my ram would be function in a dual channel fashion. I have contacted MSI and they're telling me to just ship the board to them, but my main concern is the absence of dual channeling. If i can get that up and running somehow i'll be a happy camper, otherwise i'll purchase another board from gigabyte or ASRock.

Can't see any discernible ones, also I'm reading people are having a lot of problems w/ fried VRM's from over clocking past 4Ghz. Im running my 4770k at 4.4 Ghz at avg temps of 37-44C and high-avg of 55C, so I'm worried i might blast the VRM, can anyone confirm this might be a problem? I called MSI and they tell me to ship the board but they're turn around is 2 weeks, and i can't afford to the beardless for that time. Can anyone recommend any OC settings to have it route the memory as dual channel? Atm i have XMP to mitigate the issue.

Back