• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Z97i Gaming AC compact cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teusz

Hi, my box stock cooling for 4670 i5 processor doesn't seem to be enough to keep the temperatures low. I was thinking about Zalmans 8900 series, but I think it won't fit because of the GPU. The clearance between motherboard and power unit above is only 65mm. I have a dremel if some trimming will be required. Please recommend me something, because my CPU temperatures are too high in my opinion. The only coller which i found, that should fit is the noctua nh-l9i, which price is high, and performance seem to be a little low compared to it. I'm not afraid to do some modding on the cooler if needed. And my case is Cooler Master Elite 130.

Best regards, Mateusz.

Over 40 Celsius degrees on idle. It would be nice if there was some "safety margin", just to keep me calm. Sorry for my poor english.

That chip is good to 90+ degs so I would not worry about 40 =)
What is your ambient temp ?

The might be why it is 40 .
I have never really cared about Idle temps LOAD temps are what matter what are you getting for load temp ?

^Yes, this.

Run Prime95 blend for 20 mins and check the max temperature on the cores.

Up to 90°C, you're good to go.

Not a great performer, but decent. It's compact and will work in your case.

CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler

Right after starting Prime95 blend, temperature went up to 100°C, according to Afterburner. During gaming, it is somewhere between 85 and 95 °C. I've read about those liquid cpu coolers but what troubles me is their unserviceability. I don't want to be forced to buy another set every two years or so, just because I cannot top up the coolant level.

Stock CPU and stock cooler the temperatures should be acceptable... are you sure that stock cooler is mounted properly? Those are, surprisingly, difficult to mount properly at times...

Right after starting Prime95 blend, temperature went up to 100°C, according to Afterburner. During gaming, it is somewhere between 85 and 95 °C. I've read about those liquid cpu coolers but what troubles me is their unserviceability. I don't want to be forced to buy another set every two years or so, just because I cannot top up the coolant level.

Thats because you are using the lates P95 with does not work with Haswell you need an older version. Stock cooler sucks though. You should get something better. Noctua's low profile coolers are better and not too expensive.

Only the smallest noctua cooler fits my motherboard. I will probably go with Corsair H80i. Are the stock fans good or it is possible to buy something more quiet with good performance?

Only the smallest noctua cooler fits my motherboard. I will probably go with Corsair H80i. Are the stock fans good or it is possible to buy something more quiet with good performance?

Just hook the fan up to a PWM header on your motherboard and control it with your included fan control software and make it as loud as you want. The included Corsair fan is pretty decent actually.

Back