• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiple windows, multiple drives. One problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT!

I currently have a handful of storage drives. SSD and 3 HDD. I have Win 7 on my SSD and have installed Win 10 (Insider addition) to one of those HDD. As is the usual when installing windows, it restarts after it's copied across the files. The first time, I hit f11 to stop it from booting into the SSD and to boot into the freshly installed Win 10. But when I click on the drive it just loads Win 7 from the SSD. I did another fresh install on my spare HDD and this time when it restarted I just let it load by on it's own (didn't hit f11 and manually select the boot drive thinking maybe it would default boot from the drive it just installed windows on) this didn't work either, right into Win 7 from the SSD. :facepalm:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

winders is very sloppy, it will install stuff on the other drives or, gawd knows where, atm is right as all ways, all ways install winders with only the target drive installed.

I think it has something to do with putting the bootloader/hidden partition on the other drive? (WHY????)
Think I read that somewhere.

Other solution is use a 3rd party bootloader but since it's fresh installs, no point there.

I think it has something to do with putting the bootloader/hidden partition on the other drive? (WHY????)
Think I read that somewhere.
At the time of install, Windows will put the bootloader on whatever the first drive in the boot order is.

I knew it was something like that.

Now, who at M$ thought that was a good idea???
It is the safest option to make sure Windows will boot after the install. It isn't the most convenient for power users, but we are in a vast minority.

Calling them M$ simply because you don't understand why they did something is pretty childish.

It is the safest option to make sure Windows will boot after the install. It isn't the most convenient for power users, but we are in a vast minority.

Calling them M$ simply because you don't understand why they did something is pretty childish.

I usually type M$ anyways, not trying to be a little boy here....

/off topic

Scroll Down & Click on 'Register' and use any Name & Email to Download]
http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/#comparison

Simply CHECKING default Operating System - saves default OS. There is no need to click on Save Settings to change default OS.

Tools > Options >
CHECK: Expert mode
CHECK: Remember the BCD Backup directory upon exit
UNCHECK: Everything else

Display Options TAB:
Default TAB at start up: Edit Boot Menu
CHECK: Everything else

Attachments

• EasyBCD.png
    EasyBCD.png
    19 KB · Views: 24
Back