• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiplier vs. FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ciffer

i have been overclocking for a while now but i am not getting the results i want to see. when i started i was using cheap ram that didn't function at high fsb speeds, so my solution was to increase the multiplier so i could run higher core speeds. now that i have good ram i am wondering if i should abandon the multiplier overclocking and stick to FSB only. anyone know anything about this from experience?

Im an intel guy, so i dont have any experiance with multipliers, but theoretically, from what i hear, increasing the fsb to the max is to make your ram run as fast as possible, therefore, increasing your memory bandwith. Other times, i just hear fsb is king so get it as high as possible, though dont sacrifice too much clock speed for it. I guess the only way is to try.

Anyway, you're in the wrong forum, this belongs in the AMD CPU section. Can some mod move it?

with that pc4000, push the fsb as high as possible staying in 1:1 fsb/dram ratio, then see how far you can get the multi afterwards. An increase in fsb is defenitly more powerful than an increased multi

I'm also an Intel guy and I've compared different CPU's (Running at the same speed, obviously with different multipliers and FSB) in the past (A long loooooong time ago) and the difference was little (if any), however some programs (Mostly games and benchies) benefit from higher FSB, on the contrary, to my knowledge, there are no programs that benefit from a higher multiplier, some programs just need raw speed, whether it's established by FSB or Multi doesn't matter.

So a balance between both is probably best.

IMHO FSB is always more important than your multiplier even at a sacrifice of a few 'overall' system megahertz.

Yeah FSB OCing will yeild more of a preformance increase than multi OCing, but pc-4000 RAM is overkill for any Athlon XP system.

Back