• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 5850 fan sounds like a train passing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tefras

Registered
Hi guys, this morning after i rebooted my Pc a terrible continous noise originating from the gpu fan started. It must have sth to do with the fact that the day before I decided to clean it, by cleaning I mean that I uninstalled it, unscrew nearly everything, new paste etc. etc. The funny thing is that for a whole day after it was working perfectly, it generated even less noise because I removed alooooot of dust and it was working 8-10 ! degrees lower (around 70) even under maximum pressure. But after a day or so, immediately after a reboot it started thins unbearable noise.

Thinking that I must have done sth wrong - but not sure because of the day of flawless operation, i reopened it an closed it again only to have the same conclusion. So i decided to do sth more drastic because its Sunday, stores are closed and I wanted to put on some games. This is how it ended up looking..
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-imag [...] 007rm.jpg/ the old stock intel cpu cooler saved the day

What I'd like are comments about anything, mostly what might have caused it to happen, why the noise with a day delay (coincidence?), and what would be the best thing to do now.

I am considering sth like this http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/ [...] bo-ii.html

any thoughts?

Maybe you didnt get all the screws tight enough,, And they have vibrated lose?? Can always put alittle lube in the fan its self

I got the custom cooling solution i mentioned and now i think i should have done this from start.. its unbelievable how much difference i see in Temperature and noise... I think in my next gpu i ll pay more attention to the cooler

o yea.. this is a big difference in sound and proformance with aftermarket.. they jsut cost so much for my vid cards :( my older 9600GS0 384 had SilenX IXG-120ha2 on them and it was crazy how much better they coolded over stock! and that was even b4 i added the fans to them :D

Back