• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 7900GTX is runing hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
quality psu ?

My antec is a gold certified psu I paid about 150$ for it years ago,

my new seasonic was 55$ and tis garbage if you ask me
Gold certified PSU has to do with the efficiency of the unit and speaks VERY little to nothing of quality, note.

There is no seasonic that is 'garbage' quality wise either.

Loading times have little to do with the CPU... even though you have vertex 3's things can be drastically different on them...not a valid comparison.

With respect, the temps things are like comparing apples to apricots. Sure they are both fruits (CPUs) but completely different. You cannot compare temperatures between processors of different generations. The medium between the die and IHS are different from your gen to his. Also note, you have a 125W CPU which puts out more heat (remember, heat and temperature are two different things) than an i7 at 77W or 84W depending on SB or IB CPU.

There is absolutely no way his I7 CPU is slower than yours assuming it is working properly. Just as a stock civic will always lose to a stock corvette if it is working properly. BIG difference friend. :)

Im not trying to compare them in that way. I did all this just to prove to many how fast these old processors are when setup correctly with fast hard drives and just ddr3 1333 ram

Every test I made even dvd encoding my old system blows away all but one pc I ever touched.

The only i7 that beat me was a 4500$ server for cad/and gaming. He has 3 titans for graphics and like 64gb ram is crazy fast it boots to windows 7 64 in 8 seconds flat fastest I ever seen.

forget what hard drives he runs but they are wayyyy too $$$$$$ for me.

You are barking up the wrong tree is what we are saying. In no way is a Yorkfield based CPU (your quads) faster than a Sandybridge or Ivybdrige, or Haswell based I7 CPU in CPU dependent applications.

Your example about the $4500 server that beats you kind of supports what I said. In no way do 3 Titans and 64GB of ram have anything to do with boot times... you THEN mention you do not know what the drives are which in that example, is what matters the most for boot times. Perhaps I misunderstood what you actually meant due to the way it was written?

Anyway, I do not want to go around and around :). So, what is your issue again? LOL!

That.....is a good point WageX. He mentions I7's but there are four generations of them so who knows what the hell "i7" he is actually talking about :rofl:!! That is why I clarified generations in subsequent posts. :)

I would bet a lot of that is due to the 400Mhz clockspeed difference too. ;)

OMG

its the damn 7900gtx on this pc overheating is what I was asking what I can do to cool the gpu more

then others asked why I took the 780 out of this pc is why the 780 even got brought into this post.

hands on with both cpus shows me what I said for speed differences not arguing with anyone. Just stating my experience

Try replacing the TIM, or get a different cooler for it. Problem solved! :)

You mentioned a 780 in the first post, which needed clarification...

Anyhoo, report back when you replace the TIM/Cooler.

GL! :)

well since we helped get the 780 back in there.... i thought thats what you wanted all along. seemed to me like the 7900 was just in there temporarily until you figured out what was up with the 780....

but anywho like me and joe said replace the tim or put a new fan on the cooler

already did that twice using different tim

I have an aftermarket zulman v900 I beleive it is on the 7900gtx and in POE it instantly goes to 98% load on gpu and climbs heat up to 85-90C.

This card always ran hot. It runs cooler than it did with the stock cooler, but this POE game really crushes the GPU

Attachments

• IMG_20131016_205054.jpg
    IMG_20131016_205054.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20131015_185915.jpg
    20131015_185915.jpg
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 27
NO the 780 is in my file server on the MSI motherboard with q9550 locked processor

I wanted to run the 780 on this gigabyte with qx9650 unlocked processor. It will not run on here and no I cant Use these other power supplys on the MSI motherboard do to the motherboard needing 8 pin power, neither of the antec or seasonic have that. 8 pin atx power.

I wanted to run the 780 on this gigabyte with qx9650 unlocked processor. It will not run on here and no I cant Use these other power supplys on the MSI motherboard do to the motherboard needing 8 pin power, neither of the antec or seasonic have that. 8 pin atx power.
Sounds like you need a remotely modern PSU and get off those ancient units that do not have the connectors... :thup:

Sorry I read back all I been saying I sound like a jerk.

I appreciate your help and input.

ive been through this argument so many times and I've proved it side by side hands on so many times. is why I get snappy about it....

Im on disability and dont have job to go out and buy brand new I7 extreme in order to compete with my c2quad extreme get it.

hands on with both prove to me only I7 extreme with 15 megs cache beats me in every test i've done from from encoding HD video to cad systems.

Non extreme i7's held back by lack of level2 cache wheather you want to beleive it or agree or not

Are we still droning on about this stuff when we don't even know which damn i7 this guy is talking about in the first place? FFS people... LOL!

Regardless, please refer to post #26 where WageX so kindly posted links from one of the if not THE most reputable sites around. If you don't believe that MAD, well sir, I am not sure what to say that I haven't said already (basing performance of a part off of completely unrelated parts to form your decision). :)

its ok earthdog and myself dont know anything :p

but really i mean are you sure the cooler is making good contact with the gpu? how much tim did you use?

and you can use a 4 pin psu with an 8 pin mobo long as your not overclocking a crap ton. i ran my p45x3 deluxe with a q8300@4ghz with a 4 pin power/8pin mobo

Thanks for your patients with me.

I am reading and i've been told this many times. but my MSI x48c platinum mainboard will not power on with just 4piin attached I tried it many times

my OCZ ps thats in that pc right now has both 4 and 8 pin for mainboard and as a test I tried it on just the 4pin and nothing it will not even try to start. I have 2 of this MSI mainboard to. Both will not boot at all without 8pin on mainboard.

On the MSI with q9550 on it its running stock speeds since the 9550 [95watts I believe] is locked processor

the qx9650 [130watt I believe] does not work on the MSI main board cant handle the higher wattage cpu.

if I still had the Dell here i'd install cpuz to see which it is but he picked it up this morning. I'll message him after work not just cause I want to know now which cpu it is on there. I know for fact its only 8 megs cache and does have its hyper threading shows 8 cores in device manage, so by rights it should kill my 4 core non hyperthreading cpu as you guys say, but in real world use side by side with my ancient cpu why mine load faster and play smoother,

Is that all on the 780 being better than the 580, as for sli yes POE supports it and yest its enabled in drivers I tried it without sli on POE and he got a whoping 60ish FPS, once I put back on sli fps went back up but still lower than the single 780.
If I still had his pc here i'd put my 780 on his to try POE and see if it can get fps I get with my slower old cpu.

I'll try to get him to come around this weekend to try all this. He says he wants a titan not that he seen what my 780 does on POE I think would be sweet but hope he can sell both his 580s to offset the 999$ pricetag

He should just get a 780. The difference in performance isnt much at all. Overclock teh 780 and you beat it. If he gets a 780, he saves almost $400 in the process.

my ancient cpu why mine load faster and play smoother
See, LOL, this is what I am saying, you are using performance metrics like game loads and smoother game play to the CPU, when the reality is the game loads are HDD/SSD and smoother game play is single card versus dual. Please stop comparing unlike items and coming to a conclusion. To be frank, the more you continue to do that (even after the faulty logic was mentioned, more than once), the more it makes one appear like they do not know what they are talking about. :)

The most painful part of this thread and discussion at this point is we are (still) discussing this based off of a who the hell knows i7 and subjective 'testing'.

No time for this. Good luck MAD! :)

do some 2d (cpu) benches and compare that way.

ucbench 2011 would be a good one
http://hwbot.org/benchmark/ucbench_2011/

and sorry i didnt know that particular board needed an 8 pin to start up. you can get a 4-8 adapter (my server is running one bahaha)

trying to find the test program you reffer too. Never used before. My brother is currently gaming on my MSI with 780 so i cant test that pc with the stock speed q9550.

im using the gigabyte with the 7900gtx that gets super hot only in POE I can do all else I play or do on this pc without the gpu getting 98% load and 80+ c instantly
In POE settings I put all at lowest possible setting even lowest res and still it does it on here.

I have been told a few times this gigabyte GA-EP43--DS3 mainboard has weak power supply so I dont push this chips overclock at all. I seen this chip on other mbs at 3.6ghz stable on same air cooler I run. I seen it over 4ghz on water loop.

So this chip is no slouch as many think cause its so old.

Back