• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 7900GTX is runing hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yes this is the fastest of my chips in name yes

but as I told you my MSI with 9550 and 780gtx and FASTER SSD and ddr3 1333ram as well as my raid card that runs all my hd's faster than onboard controllers ever will. I said my faster pc not my faster cpu name see you guy are hung up on specs not hands on usage speed

i'll just drop it but thanks for all the contructive criticism I know I have old pc I know it not near top tear pc. I just have the MSI tweaked for best rendering speeds and do to that my raid card takes so much load off cpu so again is why my older pc perform well. god

Throughout the entire thread you were talking cpu and cache...it wasn't until just now that you talk about the complete 'system'. Which is what we have essentially said from the beginning. Anyway, glad you had this epiphany! That said any I7 cpu listed will still help a ton and still smoke this setup if you brought the array over.

After reading through some of this thread I can see you are set on not listening to the advice and proof we have provided for you. the newer sandy/ivy/haswell chips will outperform any c2d chip at stock speeds not even overclocked. download cinebench and bench your c2d quad and post the results. c2d chips needed more cache because the memory controller was not integrated into the chip like sandybridge and and newer chips ivy\haswell. since the implementation of IMC's the amount of cache needed has dropped and the only reason that 39xx\49xx chips need more cache is because the can handle up to 64gb of memory.

no picture willl prove anything

:rofl:
I can show you lots of "pictures" that prove that your CPU is an old rusty tractor but it won't get through your head.

You have the "It's the best because its what I can afford/what I own" syndrome.

If you have a PS3 you think it's better than Xbox360. Or vice versa. In your case, you have a seven year old CPU that you think can out-perform or keep up with a modern CPU.

If you had the money for a GTX 780, you should have put down the cash for a 4670K and a nice Z87 motherboard too.

Really sad that you won't listen. Your responses seem to point to either extreme ignorance or something worse. But I'll get in trouble if I tell you what I really think.

After reading through some of this thread I can see you are set on not listening to the advice and proof we have provided for you. the newer sandy/ivy/haswell chips will outperform any c2d chip at stock speeds not even overclocked. download cinebench and bench your c2d quad and post the results. c2d chips needed more cache because the memory controller was not integrated into the chip like sandybridge and and newer chips ivy\haswell. since the implementation of IMC's the amount of cache needed has dropped and the only reason that 39xx\49xx chips need more cache is because the can handle up to 64gb of memory.

Ok this is the type of info I wanted from the start. I never once asked about cpu anyways this post is and was about my damn overheating in one game GPU,

see now you explained where it is improved but as I said from start about my server being fastest was due to the money I spent over the years on the raid controller and backplain as well as all the fastest hd's I could afford for encoding and capturing tv.

I got side tracked when everyone puts down my pc over its age, whos gaming on it. AS I said once I gave up on using this faster cpu [of mine] cant aford an i7 exteme 6core [thats what I want] and if I was to buy one it. gigabyte board with my 780. I dont game at over 1680x1050 anyways so no way my 780 is bottlenecked is what I probly should have said to avoid all the extra conversation about i7s. Yes im sure if I built a new i7 with all I put in my current server it'd be faster of course.

you had no idea without using my pc how fast it actually is as I dont know without using many i7's how fast they can be with money added to hd's and ram as well as controller cards with added drive caching and all.

I never wanted to talk about the total system, I got side tracked I guess. but in all I learned alot today reading about all these chips and motherboard.

well I reseated the gpu cooler again new thermal paste again and same soon as I open POE 98% load and 80+c instantly.

just now said screw it put the other card I have 9400gt 1gb ddr3 ram its running a bit cooler but jerks and skips all over in this damn game. I can play all my other games fine, just as they were working fine on the 7900GTX besides POE.
has to be something to this game cause nothing else I try even warms the card up as POE does to both these. The 9400 has always had lower performance to my need for speeds and my brothers everquest I know older games. The 7900 is just better at every game i try it on over the newer 9400 I got from my dad.

guess I save a few more months as I had to get the 780 and get something slower but still newer than mine and update power supply as many said. I still dont see need to update cpu yet.

I never said it will out perform all i7's, I said it outperformed all I have used god

Guys, be nice to him. He just wants advice on how to fix the temps on his graphics card. There's no need to be acting like this.. He seems to get what you're saying. In any case, it doesn't make a huge difference in context because he isn't interested in upgrading his processor by the looks of it. If the C2D fits his needs, so be it.

If I had a job yes I'd gladly upgrade every year or 2

thank you for understanding my point on all this.

Meh, this is getting out of hand
My advise:
If you really want to get better cooling for the 7900, then
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/assistant/vga/chip/147
or
http://www.overclock.net/t/1203528/official-nvidia-gpu-mod-club-aka-the-mod

As for the PSU...
PSUs "age" , and not always very well... loss of 10-15-20% per anum -depending on usage/load- must be suspected... meaning: a 5 year old PSU is more likely to kick the bucket at full load compared to new.
That is what happend when you put the 780 load on it.
Your Truepower 2 is at least 5 (8?) years old and even when new would not have been able to handle the 780 (or a 680 or a 580 or a 460).
Its time to switch the Antec over to light duty, eg fileserver only and put a better PSU in

This is what jonny had to say about the Antec 2.0 550
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=22

also i asked a few questions earlier about the 7900.

how much tim did you use on the block? what kind? are you sure that the cooler has proper mounting pressure to make good contact?

Also, with the cooler attached during or after heavy load, are the fins on the cooler actually warm to touch? If not, that could indicate poor heat transfer.

+1 ^^... an indicator of poor contact likely. Perhaps the card was jarred in moving from PC to PC which knocked it loose a bit?

Okay, no more posts that could remotely be construed as a personal attack.

I'll be going back through this thread and deleting all off topic posts.

Deleted ~20 posts or so...

There's no need to continue arguing C2Q vs i7 since there are plenty of valid tests out there comparing processors, some of which even linked in this thread. Providing and explaining valid data is really all that can be done from either side. If arguing continues after that, then it eventually becomes futile and both sides have to realize that and digress from the subject.

Plus, that whole CPU comparison topic isn't even what this thread is about. The issues here are about an overheating 7900GTX and a GTX780 can won't run in one of the OP's PCs. The processor being used is irrelevant to those issues.

Deleted ~20 posts or so...

There's no need to continue arguing C2Q vs i7 since there are plenty of valid tests out there comparing processors, some of which even linked in this thread. Providing and explaining valid data is really all that can be done from either side. If arguing continues after that, then it eventually becomes futile.

Plus, that whole CPU comparison topic isn't even what this thread is about. The issues here are about an overheating 7900GTX and a GTX780 can won't run in one of the OP's PCs. The processor being used is irrelevant to those issues.
You sir are no fun at all:p.

thanks for the reply

+1 ^^... an indicator of poor contact likely. Perhaps the card was jarred in moving from PC to PC which knocked it loose a bit?

I've tested that since I pulled the card 3 times and reseated the cooler as well as replaced the TIM, this time I newer stuff on it it did drop the temps 2c but still in this one game it floors the card to 98% load and skyrockets temps doing so.

im about to buy a 670 from a friend with waterblock and stock cooler. i'll put the stock back on to use on this setup. Maybe I can find a used radiator and pump/res to setup a loop just on the card since i'll have the block for it already.

First i'll see if this darn game which finally goes live this wensday. I hope to get the card before that and I hope it doesn't overheat. Dads 660 runs 50s in this game but he plays at 1920x1280, my monitors again will limit me to 1680x1080, I want it that way do to bad vision.

Also, with the cooler attached during or after heavy load, are the fins on the cooler actually warm to touch? If not, that could indicate poor heat transfer.

yes they are warm not hot like touching a hard drive or something but warm

Wish I kept the stock cooler that came off the card just as a test but as I said over the past 3 4 years its been perfect. Never had issue till this game. But I dont play many new games so probly only game pushing the card so hard im guessing.

My need for speeds probly only other newer game and that is perfectly fine playing on here

Back