• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My best bang for the buck rig as of now, PLEASE poke holes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=25294185

I think the link should work.

I am not sure if I chose the best cooling solution/case

I am not sure if there is a better SSD drive solution out there (doing raid 0 for storage size more than speed, since SSD is way fast as it is)

Did 1000Watt PSU, because I THINK that should enable me to use any 2 gpu's in the future, no problem. Additionally, I will probably have a bunch of 2TB dirves slapped in there.

Thoughts and making fun is appreciated :)

I know most people tell you to put as much money into a graphics card as you can, but are you on a tight budget and looking to cut corners?

Right now r9 290s are really cheap. You'd save a ton over getting a 290x and lose not very much power.
But if not then 290x would be great!

I mention this because your title says best bang for the buck.

What did you need on the Extreme9 specifically? The Extreme6 should do you just fine :)

You'll have more than enough for two GPUs with a SuperNova G2 850W, and you won't be paying an extreme premium for Platinum.

If you're spending that much on a cooler, look at the NH-D15, just make sure it'll clear the case (it should).

And I would look at some better fans, personally.

If you definitely need that much SSD space, you can most likely find a 1tb drive for $500 and easily save yourself a bit there. Also +1 to ATM's suggestions, no sense in spending money that you don't have to.

I know most people tell you to put as much money into a graphics card as you can, but are you on a tight budget and looking to cut corners?

Right now r9 290s are really cheap. You'd save a ton over getting a 290x and lose not very much power.
But if not then 290x would be great!

I mention this because your title says best bang for the buck.

The only one I found that was significantly cheaper was the gigabyte and it recieved some pretty bad quality control scores. Please link me an r9 290 that's cheap enough to justify the loss in frames over the r9 290x. Thanks!

What did you need on the Extreme9 specifically? The Extreme6 should do you just fine :)

You'll have more than enough for two GPUs with a SuperNova G2 850W, and you won't be paying an extreme premium for Platinum.

If you're spending that much on a cooler, look at the NH-D15, just make sure it'll clear the case (it should).

And I would look at some better fans, personally.

Dually noted on the PSU. In reading, it seems the cpu isn't even close to the bottle neck, so I plan on sticking with the stock cooler for now. Once I upgrade my GPU's in the future.

As for the extreme9, I am going to run dual r9 290's or 290x's @x16 and in the future, whatever newer gpu I will be future proof with the extreme9.

I see an ssd, where is the 1tb hdd for storage?

the evga 850 is a very good choice, i have one and it is sweet.

Switch back to the 840 EVO.
RAID0 on SSDs is a waste of time and money.

I was wanting to be able to install all my games to the C: drive and not have to worry about installing them on others. This makes it better for running games with heavy mods, such as Morrowind, Oblivion, & Skyrim.

You think it would be worth the $80 to avoid dealing with that and just run 1 500 gig ssd?

Or just don't RAID the drives...

The point is there is no point to R0 the drives unless you frequently work with large files. There is more of a chance the array will crap out (always have backups) in the R0 array (2 drives together).

I was wanting to be able to install all my games to the C: drive and not have to worry about installing them on others. This makes it better for running games with heavy mods, such as Morrowind, Oblivion, & Skyrim.

You think it would be worth the $80 to avoid dealing with that and just run 1 500 gig ssd?

Absolutely, not to mention that the 840 EVO will outperform the Mushkins by a decent margin.

The only one I found that was significantly cheaper was the gigabyte and it recieved some pretty bad quality control scores. Please link me an r9 290 that's cheap enough to justify the loss in frames over the r9 290x. Thanks!

The gigabyte one was the one I was thinking of. I am not sure if newegg got a bad batch or I was lucky or what but mine works fine and its rated pretty well on other sites (I bought mine on amazon)
Also is the price $399 for you? Its showing up as $359 for me but not on your list.

Also it seemed like most people who complained were running them 24/7 mining with them.

But don't let me scare you away from the 290x. If your spending that much already it might be worth the extra money for the 290x. Its still an excellent value.

to the OP i didnt see it mentioned anywhere... but what res and what games will you be playing?

This card while at a very good price will be less than ideal for X-Fire, being it is a three slot cooler and the top of the card sticks out as well. X-Fire will be choked with the stock cooling provided by Power Color. Nice single card solution though. If water cooling them disregard

For air cooling an X-Fire set up this is the card to get IMO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121840

Nice board, You could get an OCF cheaper though and probably would not notice any difference in PCIe performance. As ATM said the EX 6 is a very good value as well

Both solutions free up money for a more practical X-Fire GPU solution,

the xetreme 9 will take a 3 slot card in sli/xfire, look at the slots for 16x16.

Don't think you made your list public Mag10.

Definitely just go for a single 1TB evo but buy it from Amazon, prices there are much better.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...F8&qid=1404751195&sr=8-4&keywords=samsung+evo

For the money you are spending I'd have to put in the little extra for a 4790K for the 4ghz base speed and extra cores, yeah yeah gaming blah blah, extra cores is extra cores and high end builds and are high end builds.

SLI\Crossfire as a means of down the road improved performance has proven to be a pipe dream most of the time. By the time that the performance on your single top of the line card becomes an issue and you want to find a second card to breathe some life into back into the system its usually more economical to just get a new gpu especially if its a cpl generations later. If your buying mid-range to start with then it can make a little more sense.

If you are getting both GPUs at the same time or plan to get the second pretty soon then its a different story. Also as mentioned, trying to keep 2x290X's cool on air, UGH. I hope you are pushing a pretty nice monitor setup though. Either Eyefinity, 144hz, 1440p, 4K, etc otherwise your wasting money thinking about XFire.

Cases are a personal preference, but I prefer Corsair and NZXT for the quality of the builds. Reviews on that one are decent though.

I'd go w/ a 780 GTX Classified, I have this card and it's awesome. It out performs the R9 290 and its priced at Newegg for $449, which is a fantastic price. I'd also drop down to an extreme 6 on the mobo. I actually plan on getting that mobo for myself within the week (Just figuring out if i want to try my luck at a custom water cooling setup).
And, I personally would spread out all those SSD GB's across multiple drives. I've had SSD crap out on me one too many times. What I do is run windows 8.1 on my 250gb Samsung Evo, and I run steam on my mushkin chronos 240gb, Origin on a OCZ Vertex 3 240gb, and all my hacked downloaded games on a Corsair FOrce 3 128 GB. That way if any of my drives fail, I always have another to fall back on. MY GAMING WILL NEVER STOP! And if I want to reinstall windows all I have to do is backup the saved games and profiles from documents/mygames folder and copy paste those back in.
I also want share about how awesome it is to use hot swap-able drive bays when dealing w/ multiple SSD and HDD. If you ever have an issue w/ your drives it makes troubleshooting so much easier (In addition to my SSD I also have x2 750GB HDD for all my movies, tv shows, pron, whatever). Check out the Thermaltake level 10 gt snow. I absolutely love it, and while other cases my be better for watercooling, Wolfgheist absolutely killed it.

I'd go w/ a 780 GTX Classified, I have this card and it's awesome. It out performs the R9 290 and its priced at Newegg for $449, which is a fantastic price. I'd also drop down to an extreme 6 on the mobo. I actually plan on getting that mobo for myself within the week (Just figuring out if i want to try my luck at a custom water cooling setup).
And, I personally would spread out all those SSD GB's across multiple drives. I've had SSD crap out on me one too many times. What I do is run windows 8.1 on my 250gb Samsung Evo, and I run steam on my mushkin chronos 240gb, Origin on a OCZ Vertex 3 240gb, and all my hacked downloaded games on a Corsair FOrce 3 128 GB. That way if any of my drives fail, I always have another to fall back on. MY GAMING WILL NEVER STOP! And if I want to reinstall windows all I have to do is backup the saved games and profiles from documents/mygames folder and copy paste those back in.
I also want share about how awesome it is to use hot swap-able drive bays when dealing w/ multiple SSD and HDD. If you ever have an issue w/ your drives it makes troubleshooting so much easier (In addition to my SSD I also have x2 750GB HDD for all my movies, tv shows, pron, whatever). Check out the Thermaltake level 10 gt snow. I absolutely love it, and while other cases my be better for watercooling, Wolfgheist absolutely killed it.
You linked to a gtx 770. Which will not be better than an r9 290.

Also I wouldn't take passmark as gospel. I'd always look around at real (world) benchmarks when comparing cards (not saying 780 isn't better than a r9 290 though, since 780 is better.) (one quick example Radeon R9 295X2 and GeForce GTX TITAN Z should be the top two cards. etc)

Back