• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My best bang for the buck rig as of now, PLEASE poke holes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It was asked what resolution I would be gaming at. And the answer is 1080p. I never feel like higher than that is better. The intent isn't current Gen gaming. It's future gaming performance.

Additionally. What is the smallest case I can get to house 2 r9 290x cards along with the rest of my setup. Just curious. May not do it.

It was asked what resolution I would be gaming at. And the answer is 1080p. I never feel like higher than that is better. The intent isn't current Gen gaming. It's future gaming performance.

Additionally. What is the smallest case I can get to house 2 r9 290x cards along with the rest of my setup. Just curious. May not do it.

Honestly, just to give you an idea; my GTX 760 plays nearly every game out there @ 1080P Max settings. This would compare to the AMD 280(non-x) and sit just under the GTX770. As for case suggestion that's quite difficult to answer as everyone has different tastes in what looks ascetically pleasing, but you can get a standard mid tower case. That's not to suggest it wont run hot because of the confined space. I can suggest cases all day long but at the end of the day you have to be the one to choose what works best for you. I would suggest Corsair, Fractal Design, NCIX, and Coolermaster brands for starters.

2 290x at 1080p? Did I miss something in this thread? 1 290x is massive overkill for 1080p...

hate to be this guy, as this is more a personal thing, but I have the thor v2 and I hate it, it's massive yet has almost no cable management room, and it's just a really cheap and plastic-y case. get a quality case. you won't regret it.

hate to be this guy, as this is more a personal thing, but I have the thor v2 and I hate it, it's massive yet has almost no cable management room, and it's just a really cheap and plastic-y case. get a quality case. you won't regret it.
+1
I cant say I am familiar with the Thor however this is great advice from an owner.

2 290x at 1080p? Did I miss something in this thread? 1 290x is massive overkill for 1080p...

I would say anything above a GTX770 or Radeon R9 280X at 1080P would be overkill TBH, however he did mention he wants to build this system to be able to play future games. My suggestion is to pickup a 1440/1600P or better monitor if the intention of actually utilizing the current batch of hardware. I cant wholeheartedly suggest getting a 4k monitor as even SLI/Crossfire setups seem to have a difficult time keeping up, for myself in that case I will wait for monitor prices to drop and 1-2 Generations of GPU's before I go 4k

Oh and maybe not to expect too much, but we do have DX12 around the corner(guessing Q2 2015 at earliest) which should bring some benefits.

+1
I cant say I am familiar with the Thor however this is great advice from an owner.

I would say anything above a GTX770 or Radeon R9 280X at 1080P would be overkill TBH, however he did mention he wants to build this system to be able to play future games. My suggestion is to pickup a 1440/1600P or better monitor if the intention of actually utilizing the current batch of hardware. I cant wholeheartedly suggest getting a 4k monitor as even SLI/Crossfire setups seem to have a difficult time keeping up, for myself in that case I will wait for monitor prices to drop and 1-2 Generations of GPU's before I go 4k

Oh and maybe not to expect too much, but we do have DX12 around the corner(guessing Q2 2015 at earliest) which should bring some benefits.

I did not know that about DX12. Thanks for the insight.

Thanks for the advice on the thor v2. Good to know. I will look elsewhere. Just saw it had tons of fans and what looked like a whole back compartment for cable management.

It is worth noting that DX12 will only be supported on Win8 and later.

I did not know that about DX12. Thanks for the insight.

Thanks for the advice on the thor v2. Good to know. I will look elsewhere. Just saw it had tons of fans and what looked like a whole back compartment for cable management.

it looks that way, I still have mine so later I will get photos of how much room there actually isn't it's a very heavy case with cheap plastic trim. I personally would just get a fractal design r4 or arc xl if you want a big case. but the thor is def. not worth the price, nor would I recommend it. but you are correct in saying it has big fans, I currently use one as a desk fan haha. and while the airflow is good there are just too many cons for me recommend it to anyone.

Back