• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Computer Keeps Waking Up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

Every time I put my computer into sleep mode it wakes up moment later. Eventually it goes back to sleep again, but it drives me crazy. I did some google searches and the best advice I could find was to change the "setting your computer to use S1 as sleep (standby) rather than S3/S4 sleep (suspend activities to RAM/disk)" http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/06/ask-ars-do-solid-state-drives-cause-problems-with-sleep-mode/

good idea? bad idea? other ideas?

also, I know hibernation uses hard drive space, but does sleep mode. and I heard that your SSD writes even in sleep mode shortening its life span. True?

did more research and it seems ssd's arent great at the whole sleep mode thing and some have failed because of it. I guess I'll have to change my habits.

Last edited:
For sleep/stanby mode the computer doesn't use hdd space. Rather, it uses power because it is still somewhat on, just in a very low power state. With a ssd you might as well use hibernate or shutdown sin e they are so quick. My samsung 830 goes from shutdown to log in in less than 10 senonds, and my kingston ssd brings my laptop from hibernate to log in in the same amount of time as standby.

Back