• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My daily output

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
katelin said:
I've been doing some reading on building PCs. And I think it's more economical for me to put together a PC rather then going to the local shop and pick up a used unit. However, I've never build a PC.
I hadn't either until I built my first one.;)

I think about it like this:
Many of these computers are built in what amounts to third world countries using a labor pool consisting of your average 5 year old kids. The parts are keyed where you can't put them in backwards. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to put one together.

I've learned more about computers by getting my hands dirty, than reading books. You will run into questions, and the Internet has the answers.

I have 4 AMD systems at home. They provide great bang for the buck. I even have one that is on an ECS K7S5A recommended above ( I think that board has been discontinued). My systems average around $500 each. The mobo manuals usually give step-by-step instructions for assembly. The satisfaction of building your own makes it a lot of fun.

Can you help us out on what is important to you? Do you need LAN, etc.?

You now have a whole team of experts just waiting to answer your questions! If you can indetify opjects by shape...read directions and ask questions (and use a philips screwdriver) you have all the tools you need to build a puter! My wife built the one she is on now while I watched. :D

Cy

Building is much cheaper and much more rewarding than buying. Take it from a fellow Dell owner (I guess I'm one of the dudes he was talking about in the commercials). The other two in my sig are built by me. Both of my rigs in the sig came in around $375 to build, whereas my Dell put me back over a grand to buy.

And yes DDR definitely helps times a lot. My PIII is running at 1125 with a 150MHz system bus, and my Athlon is running at 1250 with a 125MHz system bus and DDR, and the Athlon still beats the PIII by about a half hour regardless of the bus speed difference. That's why your PC800 RAM in the Dell helps your times so much.

That's a good output for someone new.

I demanded much more than ever when I joined this team.

You're going to be in college w/ a roomy and you'll both own like 10-20 systems each :D all crunching SETI..

Everyone,
Thanks for all your advice. I decided to go with DDR, however, I'd like a faster CPU and a motherboard that's more overclockable. I've read that ECS isn't good for overclocking. So I looked at Shuttle which a lot of sites have good reviews on. Here is a list of componenets that I put together from Newegg. I've heard Newegg is pretty good. Could you let me know what you think and if I miss anything? I don't need monitor, keyboard, nor mouse. I can share the ones with my current PC. Sorry if this post is too cluttered up. THanks. I value your input very much.

Enermax, CS-003-A106USB+EG301P-VB, 2-Tone, 10-Bay, with 2 USB ports, 300W PS, P4, MID Tower Case. $59.00

SONY 52X MAX EIDE INTERNAL CD-ROM DRIVE $24.00

GLOBALWIN's WBK38 CPU Heatsink & Dual Ball +sleeve bearing Fan, Approved for Athlon XP 1800+. $17.00

SONY 1.44MB 3.5 INCH INTERNAL FDD DRIVE - OEM $7.00

MAXTOR 20GB 5400RPM Model # 2B020H1 - 541DX OEM, DRIVE ONLY $59.00

KINGSTON KVR266X64C25/128 128MB DDR PC2100 -OEM6 24.00

SHUTTLE AK31A AMD K7 VIA APOLLO KT266A DDR SOCKET A ATX MOTHERBOARD - RETAIL New Ver.. Support XP 2000+ $59.00

Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card Model LNE100TX $19.00

AMD Athlon 1600+/266 FSB XP PROCESSOR CPU - OEM Athlon XP 1600+/ 1.40GHz $80.00

Subtotal » $348.00
Shipping and Handling Charge » $ 28.70

Yodums said:
That's a good output for someone new.

I demanded much more than ever when I joined this team.

You're going to be in college w/ a roomy and you'll both own like 10-20 systems each :D all crunching SETI..

Yodums, yeah, but that won't be til another year yet. I've got some letters from some colleges already. I don't know, I'll probably need a room all by myself to put all the computers that I'm gonna build. :)

Newegg rocks! I buy almost everything from them.

I would go up the 1700+ for $9
I would move up to the 7200 RPM Samsung 40GB for $9

...and you forgot video.

I would recommend the VISIONTEK Xtasy 5632 GEFORCE2 GTS-V 4X/2X 32MB DDR AGP for $45.

I would also avoid sleeve bearing fans, particularly on a heatsink.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Thermalright AX-7 for $28 and Enermax variable speed ball-bearing 8CM fan for $7.

Katelin: one option to consider on mobos-

Epox 8KHA+ (yeah I LOVE these things!) I have two running right now, and a replacement for the third that I killed is in Indiana on its way home now:p

Overclocking options out the yin-yang, KT266a chipset and likes high FSB: both my XP1700s are a bit above 1700 right now. With a 10x multi.

New they are a bit pricier than the Shuttle, but Newegg has remanufactured ones for $41(and free shipping!) right now.
No cables with the board (if you end up needing some, I'm sure they could be found;) .)

First time I've bought anything from them, but I'm told the remans. are ok.

Back when I got my first Epox, the AK31 was my second choice though: I've heard great things about them too.

On the cpu front: I don't have it in a board right now (see above) but out of my little collection of XP chips: 1600, 2 1700s, 1800, the 1600 was the fastest out of the box. 1800 was the slowest!

Weird luck with steppings? Maybe, but I'm not convinced. For $9 you can get guaranteed faster default though.....depends on how you feel about unlocking!

(Psst: if you, or anyone else, is in need of a few IDE cables......I think I have a couple.....)

Last edited:
You could also save some money by getting a mobo with integrated LAN. You also don't need to spend that much for a good Ethernet adapter.

Did I mention I tend to overshoot my PC budget?;)

Oh yeah forgot the video card. Well since this isn't going to be any fancy PC, I might be able to find something cheaper then the Geforce2.

I think I might just go with the xp 1700 for $9 more.

If I go with a $28 heatsink plus $7 fan, that's gonna add more $$. Is it going to make a big difference?

The heatsink and fan is a keystone part in an Athlon system. It will limit your ability to overclock. The heatsink you selected is pretty good, but that sleeve bearing fan makes me nervous. They just don't last as long as a ball-bearing fan and aren't usually as reliable. If the fan dies while you're not around, the CPU could bake.

both the shuttle and the epox mentioned above are good boards and overclockable
the ECS gives you some options to overclock, and has onboard Lan

as for cooling the wbk38 is a good heatsink, but will limit your overclock with an athlon cpu
the AX7 and fan is a good option, but make sure it fits on your board

well, first of all, is it just for crunching SETI?? if so, $400 could get u "almost" 2 dedicated crunchers then!! like mine, my dedicated crunch ONLY have mobo, cpu, memory, cheap old video card, psu, NIC, and that's it!! no case, no sound, no modem. w/ some old $15 video card (the cheapest one i'm using could only running Win2k @ 800x600 max. resolution!!) it's not fancy but if just for SETI, it's more than enough!!

also, i would recommend the 8KHA+ refub. from newegg! i had 3 of it, and 1 of them is refurb. from newegg. no problem running SETI 24/7.

also, be sure to check in the classified forum in here! sometimes u'll find some small hard drive for sale too. no need a brand new 20G drive if just for SETI or some light work!

oh, this for everyone :)!! CompUSA had some Linksys 10/100 NIC on sale this week!!! $4.99 each after instant rebate!!!! i've grab a few today already.
and CircuityCity have some APC UPS too!! model is 300va.....i believe. after mail-in rebate, it's only $9.99!! got 2 today.

happy farming, Katelin!!!! ;)

I recommended the AX-7 because it is very effective, and very quiet. You don't need a Delta to cool a system with an AX-7. The 1800+ I'm on right now is OC'ed at 1633 and my load temps with SETI are 43C with an AX-7 and 3000 RPM Enermax speed adjustable fan.

Great. I'll check into the refurbished 8KHA+ at Newegg. I'll also look for the $5 network adapter from COmpusa. I don't know Landshark, I'm gonna need a case for sure. I don't want my room to look like Rogerdugans's set up. That thing looks like it violates several LA's fire hazard codes :).

I read some reviews about the AX-7 heatsink. They say that it's a monster and may not fit on some motherboards. WIll it fit on the Shuttle AK31 or the 8KHA+?

Thanks again.

katelin said:
I don't want my room to look like Rogerdugans's set up. That thing looks like it violates several LA's fire hazard codes :).

I need some warning signs "Hazardous Voltages" and "In case of Emergency call 911" come to mind:p

It really isn't as bad as it looks.....Riiiiight!

My Control Center is pretty decent though.

You're going to have a lot of fun setting that rig up: first one is the best:)

i've just replace all my Millneium II heatsink for AX-7 on all my XP rigs., included the duallie. i got them from heatsink factory's combo (heatsink & fan). i choose the quite fan. man, it cool "at least" as good as the MillneiumII if not better, and w/ much much less noise!!! especially in the case of the duallie!! i barely hear them at all, and some of my psu r louder than that!!! highly recommended!!

sure, it will fit on 8KHA+ & A7M266-D 'cos i'm running those on them.

good luck on ur farming, Katelin!!! ;)

Back