• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My E8400 Overclock Progress.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RyanB

Registered
So....I've had my new computer about 6 months now and I'm loving it. My last rig was an oldy! Barton 2500+...Asus A7N8X deluxe..ATI X850XT AGP....yayaya you get the picture. OLD!

Anyways I recently got hooked and interested in overclocking again so I started off today by ordering myself a new heatsink. I bought myself the Zalman CNPS9700 and I should be getting it tomorrow.

In the meantime I'm trying to find my chips minimum stable vcore using prime95 while @ 3.3Ghz. Don't ask me why 3.3Ghz I just decided to start there.

So currently I'm at 1.23125v @ 3.3Ghz in the bios and cpu-z is telling me I'm at 1.192v under load 1.2v idle .008v droop. Can anyone tell me what the discrepancies are between the bios and software are a result of?

Under 100% load Realtemp tells me my cores are sitting at 63C on my stock Intel heatsink......I'm excited to get my Zalman 9700 tomorrow!

Anyways.....I'll update my progress throughout the week!

Last edited:
So i just got home from work and finished installing the Zalman 9700 and wow what a difference! only hitting 49C under full load as much heat as I can pull from it! 14C difference wow.....I'm impressed

Time to up the clock and voltage!

wish me luck! :)

I hit 4.1 ghz on mine but needed 1.45v under a lapped true, never reacehed over 69x full load, push on and good luck

im currently running mine at 4.12 Ghz with 1.28V, intelburntest stable, prime95 never sees about 65C
when it was a little cooler out, i was running 4.5ghz no problem, with like 1.38V
best of luck with yours!

Last edited:
Ran prime 95 for 8 hours as well as OCCT for an hour and a 3dmark06 test. All completely stable at 3.6Ghz - 400x9 - 1.248v.

Have not tried bumping the voltage down yet. I want to bump the speed up first then find my lowest voltage I think.

I am running mine @ 4.01GHz, 40C idle, 1.3250V in BIOS...CPU-Z reports 1.299..or so..stable as a mofo. air cooled

Well with some mucking around in the voltages on the NB and FSB voltages I've managed to hit 4Ghz.

4Ghz @
1.39375v BIOS
1.368v CPUZ idle
1.352v CPUZ load

How my voltages are looking in my BIOS for my 750i? Can anyone tell me how much more room I have?

CPU FSB: 1.2v (Whats a 'safe' voltage for the FSB on a E8400?)
nforceSPP:1.45v (I think that's about as high as I should go for my NB no? 52C under load)
NF200: 1.3v

Temps with the Zalman 9700 are 43C Idle and 57C Load

I think I might have put to much thermal paste on when I seated my new HS. I used Artic Cooling MX-2.

Might be worth the time to retry that and yes I did apply the compound in a thin line vertically in reference to the chip itself....but dumb me could not resist the temptation to say '**** it' and make a cross like the + sign.

ROFL.

Last edited:
good result, good temp.

Vcore can be lower since some PPL can run this speed with less. But its a luck game ! your chip can need it. Try to lower it and see if its till stable.

Nope not stable at 1.368v

I just bumped it up to 1.376v

lets see how it fairs :\

Before crank up your CPU vcore, I suggest you to test out your motherboard and RAM first. Instead of 444x9, first try 450x8 to make sure your motherboard and RAM can hold up to higher FSB. If you can run 400x9, then you should be able to run 450x8 at the same voltage for CPU vcore, but you may need to unlink your RAM and set them to 1066Mhz and increase your NB voltage until stable...

Well...I'm back at it! I did the pencil mod to my 750i FTW. No more vdroop from idle to load!

Going to see how much more I can push it.

Back