• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Case Mod.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kully3xf

Registered
Ok, so ive been wanting to do a case mod for a while now, but could never thing of anything to do...
in 2 or 3 months i will be moving to a new house, and once i get there i need to buy a desk as mine will not last the move. i just tonight remembered an old picture i saw of a desk computer, where the computer is actually inside the desk...

i want to do something of this nature, and start building the desk fairly soon so its ready to assemble when i move in.

ive made mistakes before by not consulting with people who are good at what they do and just trying things out for my self, so this time im going to do it right and consult you all, If you guys could let me know what tools im going to need, i want to do a plexy glass top, perhaps with a little sand blasted logo of something, or clean; with an aluminum side wall and legs.

My current system is liquid cooled with 2 rads, one with 2 120 fans and one with 1 120 mill fan.

I also want to have blue lights always on, with uv or red lights that would strobe with music or something fun like that!

ill post a pic of the original image, and a quick plan i drew up in the past half hour :)!!

i look forward to what you guys have to say!:grouphug:
hi-tech-computer-desk.jpg

2vuzcbc.jpg

Sounds like a good idea, and liquid cooling's pretty much the only way to go with that setup. I dunno much about modding, but I'm damn excited to see the finished product.

i just worked a few extra hours today to get more money together...

so if anyone has any idea or instructables on plexy glass cutting or any other insite i would be appreciated!

and thanks way out, ill be sure to post pics when i get started!

That looks like a helluva lot of work but Will be bad *** when you're finished. I have seen similar things done with wooden desks before but they were not as flashy as using all acrylic. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

you could probably get a standard piece of plexi thats like 4ft x 2ft or w/e and not worry about cutting it.. can make the frame and "box" to hold components out of MDF and just paint it a color you like..unless you really wanted a full plexi box, in which case i am no help! just throwing out ideas

no i def dont wanna do all plexi, just the top and possibly the bottom... ive been lookin up prices and found out plexi comes in DIFFERANT COLORS!! but any way the sides are going to be some kind of metal or w.e. what is mdf??

but any way i found out that this is going to be alot cheeper than i was planning...
i should be getting the plexi next time i go to my parents house so i can borrow there power tools! be sure to post pics of my starting cuts!!

MDF - Medium-density fibreboard.
In Short - it is wood fibres that are combined with a wax and resin substance.
has millions of uses, but im not sure if it would suit what you are after.
If possible get your plexi either Pre-Sized or cut from where ever you buy it, as they will cut it reasonably straight, (and if not, kick up stink and demand refund lol) Try looking into Aluminium side panels, as it will transfer any residual heat very easily.

type mdf on google image u will see what is it...
I agree with going to buy a big sheet of acrylic and make the desk to that **size**
I would go for Top Acrylic. All side and bottom Aluminium- a computer can be really heavy and the acrylic might bend or crack over time etc... and allu would look really nice on the bottom :)
Here and here.
ur bottom boxe should have i dunno how to spell it... so here is the example...
It's like wood desk for ur keyboard u can pull it out or hide it behind ur **wood desk** with alumium tracks and wheel. I would do the same ways for ur allumium boxe that will be under the plexi top. So u will have easy access to ur whole computer :)

If u cant know what i meant post it i will tyr to find some picture to illustrate it!

Hey guys, quick update. I got the money all togeather, and its time to start! :)

so heres my plan so far, im going to home depot when all this snow clears (east coast ftw)
and pickin up some plexy, a 2X4 sheet im thinking maybe a 1/4 inch to a 1/2 inch thick. if anyone feels that thats too thin input would be great!

now ikea! has desk legs for sale for 10 bucks
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00105554
so im gunna put the whole thing on 4 of those make the desk frame out of some kind of aluminum and go to town with a dremel!
also will be buying a tube style rad for the lcs

you guys think a dremel would be good for cutting thru alumium for cuting the mobo slots and for the fan out ports and cd out port?

gettin started soon, cant wait!

If you can pull it off properly it will look amazing.. Best of look to you and make sure you keep us updated on the progess!

Back