• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Overcloking : Problem! Help Needed. PLZ!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zulu

Registered
O.K. afrer trying succesfully o/c my old p2 333MHZ to 411MHZ by going from 66 to 83 MHZ FSB,(Aopen ax6bc mobo) I tried go futher to 100MHZ but...
Computer locks when booting, actually, it even doesn't boot BIOS.
So, I pressed "home " key while pressing Power key, and restored previous settings,
I'd like to know, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM???
Why it goes flawlessly to 411, at temperature 30 C, but doesn't go little bit higher?
Does it seems like overheating?
Or low voltage? (NOW VCore value 2.03v)

These old chips usually used 1/2 speed cache chips. When overclocking the cache would run out of steam before the core, but not always by much. a 33% overclock is often tough to achieve even with the modern chips, so don't feel too bad.

Zulu,
Going from 83mhz to 100mhz is a big jump. If your board doesn't have any intermediate steps (I am unfamiliar with it) you are asking a lot. You haven't said what the other components in the system are, so it is hard to identify what other things might be causing the trouble. Definitely could be the cache, could be a lot of other things too. A little more info on your system would help.

Mobo Aopen ax6 bc (440BX)
Pentium 2 333MHZ
Memory 196MB RAM (128 at 100MHZ, 32+32MB at possibly 66MHZ ,don't remember)
Radeon 32 MB DDR
Soundblaster Creative16 PnP

Since you are trying to build speed...I would look at removing that stick of PC66 first. Also, is the SB16 PCI or ISA? You might have a compatibility issue with it too. First though, try using just the 128MB stick of PC100 and see if you can get it to boot.

Good Luck

Back