• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My future project(Fractal Design Define XL R2)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mag10

Hello everyone,

I purchased the Fractal Design Define XL R2 last year, and so far am completely satisfied with 90% of its feature set. However, in the next 6 months I intend on upgrading all components within the case. I have discussed this on the forums over various topics of the build. This time I'm delving into the actual mods for the case to co-produce the vision I have for this build. It has actually been quite difficult to find many who 1) have this case and 2) Modded the case. For example I have come across <5 thus far, but they have given me some insight into what I would intend to produce and assisted in my mental vision of what needs done.

So, back to the original portion of why I created this topic! With this build I shall be adding a moderate(IMO) watercooling setup. The single loop I will create will consist of the following:
Swiftech MCP35x2 Pump
  1. Swiftech MCP35x2 Pump
  2. Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 280mm
  3. Alphacool NexXxoS ST30/UT60 Full Copper 420mm
  4. Swiftech Maelstrom Dual Bay Reservoir
  5. TBD CPU Waterblock
  6. TBD GPU Waterblock
In order to accomplish I must make some modifications to the case. This will be accompanied by pictures.

A. Front Panel Modification - Must be altered/replaced in order to accompany the 280mm Radiator+Fans.
pic_disp.php

The portion you are looking at is with the fan cage removed behind the front bezel. This area houses 2 x 120/140mm fans. Directly behind that are the removable HDD/SSD cages. As you can notice there is a recessed mounting bracket in the middle of this area. I must modify or replace this section with the correct alignment for the radiator to fit and be secured properly. I will also likely remove the front dust filter/fan housing in favor of an accompanying DEMCifilter.

B.Top Panel Modification - Must be altered/replaced in order to accompany the 480mm Radiator+Fans.
pic_disp.php

Obviously this is the top panel and front panel connections. The fan slots to the rear houses 2 x 120/140mm fans. I'm divided whether I should replace the front panel completely or simply modify to accompany the 420mm radiator. If I replace, the whole top panel will simply look better overall. Another idea I have contemplated is to introduce a similar solution as the ARC XL with the removable dust filter.
Fractal-Deisgn-Arc-XL-Top_2.jpg

The largest difference I would add is an extended height on this to accompany an additional 25mm fan set for push/pull and an accompanying DEMCifilter.

C. Bottom Panel Modification - Must be altered in order to accompany a DEMCifilter.
pic_disp.php

Pretty simple really, all I will do for this is grind off the guides for the dust filter and add the DEMCifilter. If I were feeling ballsy I would replace the whole bottom panel with a version of my choosing.

D. Side Panel Modification - Must be altered in order to accompany a TBD design of window.
pic_disp.php

E. Rear Panel Modification(optional) - Must be altered/lowered in order to offset the area to allow additional radiator clearance.
pic_disp.php

I'm on the fence of with this idea, because it it a major overhaul of the entire rear panel and motherboard tray area. If I do this however it will open may additional options for other modifications(including more room behind the motherboard tray) for, whatever lol. If I proceed with this option, it would probably be best to completely remake the motherboard tray and rear panel as a whole. However I do not see any pre-made options that suit my preference, which unfortunately means completely custom fabrication.​

So, what are the opinion of the community of this basic overview of my upcoming build? I am also open to suggestion or better ways to accomplish my goals. Keep in mind this is what I have planned thus far, and more may be added in the future as this is a work in progress.

I have this case and a 2x180 rad. It needs some rework and has changed since the pics. I have changed res and pump to a dual bay single pump. I am waiting on my 2nd 290x and I will add some more radiator and watercool gpu's. I already have gpu blocks. Picture is here. Ithink I had more pictures, but I can't find them now.

Edit: I remembered where some more pics were. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738177

I have this case and a 2x180 rad. It needs some rework and has changed since the pics. I have changed res and pump to a dual bay single pump. I am waiting on my 2nd 290x and I will add some more radiator and watercool gpu's. I already have gpu blocks. Picture is here. Ithink I had more pictures, but I can't find them now.

Edit: I remembered where some more pics were. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738177

Oh I remember seeing your post a while ago, interesting idea for sure. Im going for a sleek look inside with more then enough balls with some minor mods.

Can you remove the drive cages and mount the radiator there and put the fans in the front behind the filter?

Can you remove the drive cages and mount the radiator there and put the fans in the front behind the filter?

Well yes but the official response is this:
Fractal Design Tech Support said:
The holding in the front of the Define XL R2 does not support 280mm radiators. So if you would like to put a 280mm radiator in the Define XL R2 you would have to put it in the top or modify the case somehow.

Best regards,

From what I can discern is for example the Corsair h110 will mount but non-AIO 280mm radiators have issues with mounting. So based on the official response I would need to modify that section. I wont do this until I know for 100% sure a 280mm rad will not fit of course. Oh and the question I sent them referenced the Black Ice® GTX Gen Two Xtreme 280 radiator. Which I'm not intending on using anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the front 280mm mounting options? Should I simply cut away the mount and replace with a bottom mounted adapter?

Did hokie mention getting a 240 in there in his review? I think I saw something somewhere, but I don't recall where.

Did hokie mention getting a 240 in there in his review? I think I saw something somewhere, but I don't recall where.

Yes he did, but said: "The holes are drilled for a 140 mm rad, and you could easily use a 1 x 140 mm rad here, but not a 2 x 140mm. I chose to stick with the included 140 mm fans in the fan bracket and use a dual 120 mm radiator, but you can also eliminate the front fans, leave the bracket (for air filtering) and install 120 mm fans directly to the radiator."

However my measurements show 322mm between the bottom of the case to the top of the 5.25" drive cage. As I mentioned I would be required to modify the front mounts to mount a 280mm Radiator.

I got a new idea in regards to the rear panel, MountianMods Offer separate parts that I may use for replacing the rear panel. Might have to design the backplate myself however.

OK so I have been playing around with some 3dWare and have started constructing the XL-R2 with mods.

Here is what I have currently. Granted the quality of the images are not the best so please bear with me! This is just a way for me to toss around some concepts for the build.

Back