• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My future wooden case project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem2

My wooden case!

I have edited this main post now so I will just use it for my updates.

My case will be made out of Maple and Birch plywood. It will be stained mahogany, and will be 13 inches tall, 13 inches wide, 16.25 inches long. Able to hold 5x 3.25 drives, and later on I might add brackets for smaller 2.25" drives.

It will have 1x 200mm fan in the front, and 2x 140 mm fans in the rear. Holds two optical drives, and allows for nearly 14 inches of expansion for any graphics cards in the future.

Last edited:
not all the pics loaded for me. but buttons arent a problem weather you go aftermarket or use the ones off your old case.. same goes for switches.
Cheers.

nice! nm i didnt read.

i wannna build my own mini case someday that will ohouse a full atx board

i say use a big "easy" button for power :D

im gonna be doing a box to .. i want it to be semi large to fit water-cooling in there properly ..

Ok so I have been hearing some stuff from other forums and sites that wood gets really hot, is this just because of poor building and not good fans? I would asusme if I am packing 2 intake and 2 exhaust 120mm fans with some decent CFM it should not be an issue right?

Here is a nice mock up with scrap wood

CIMG3045.jpg

CIMG3048.jpg

CIMG3053.jpg

Last edited:
Cool!

I take it you are going to prepare that wood before you build?

Well not that wood, that's rotted old plywood I found in the shed but yes when its time I will be using 1/4" pine or some kind of real wood. Then I will stain all of it. I was going to use MDF paint it white and do my own art on it, but I cannot find 1/4" mdf. and it has to be that thin to meet my width requirements.

I think I am going to have the front top and left side fold to open when I want to work on it. So you could imagine the front folding down, the top folding up toward the right, and the left folding down.

That or just the top and side. Still deciding on that.

Well I figured out I will go with 1/4" birch for the sides. for the rest I am going to go 1/2 inch of something but I can't seem to find solid wood in just the right width. They do have a laminated pine which looks and sounds like real wood. Would that work you think?

Well, that's my question really, I can SEE with plywood and OSB its pressed saw dust, this stuff, is solid, and it has the grains from the tree on all sides, but I think its like 2 inch boards pressed to make one large 6ft x 1.5 ft board.

why two different types of wood ? guess id have to see it first but sounds a lil odd .. also what have you found so far for a power button ?

also does you cd drive clear the psu ? or is that why your going with multiple openings ? maybe you could drop the cd drive cage a tad to have clearance and just use a standard side panel access .. try and keep it as solid as you can .. i just have a feeling (depending how you set it up) that there is gonna be to much vibration from having multiple openings !!

Yeah that changed as well, After I realized that in order for me to meet 13in wide the motherboard tray is exactly 12.5 inches. so 1/4 on the other side. The reason for the wood, is because that is the only type I could find in 1/4 size :( I don't have a lot of options here in omaha ne :(. Home Depot and Lowes.

As long as its wood and can stain then I'm ok with it. Yeah my dvd drives don't really come as close as that pictures makes it seem. PLus that's an old junk one that is GIGANTIC my drives are actually smaller LOL. I am ditching the side opening because it will be 1/4 wood, so it will just be an open on the top thing and be good to go.

As far as a power button, I did managed to gut the one from the case I got all the parts from. Its a basic plastic one.

is plexi glass out of the question ? i use to live in omaha and if i can remember he place there is an awesome shop that will cut all the dimensions including holes for super cheap .. im almost positive you can pick out different flavors of color too .. i had them make me a clear panel for my car amp a few years back and they did excellent work

* how old are ya if you dont mind me asking .. im gonna be making a trip (possible move) back out there and id be glad to buy ya a beer or 10 :D .. if not old enough thats ok too .. more for me :D

is plexi glass out of the question ? i use to live in omaha and if i can remember he place there is an awesome shop that will cut all the dimensions including holes for super cheap .. im almost positive you can pick out different flavors of color too .. i had them make me a clear panel for my car amp a few years back and they did excellent work

* how old are ya if you dont mind me asking .. im gonna be making a trip (possible move) back out there and id be glad to buy ya a beer or 10 :D .. if not old enough thats ok too .. more for me :D

I'm 28, but I don't drink either :p.

As far as plexi glass, I was really wanting to keep it all wood at this point. Since its inside a desk anyway I would never get to enjoy a window. I have one now but its not like it was when I was single lol I could have my stuff sprawled over my desk haha

I'm 28, but I don't drink either :p.

As far as plexi glass, I was really wanting to keep it all wood at this point. Since its inside a desk anyway I would never get to enjoy a window. I have one now but its not like it was when I was single lol I could have my stuff sprawled over my desk haha
well i know a wood lover too .. he loves it so much he gave part of his finger once ... lol .. i can ask him where he goes cause he usually can find anything .. is is an older dude that lives by that new wal-mart on 72nd (where the ranch bowl use to be - RIP Ranch Bowl :cry: )

* haha.. im not a drinker anymore either .. dont think id make it past number 3 these days .. and i hear ya on the single part .. i remember when i brought my girlfriend home for the first time and she seen my computer layed out ... she was like "what the hell is that?" .. "hmmm ok, thats a little weird" ..lol needless to say i ended up fixing her family's and friends computers for a few years after .. she told me she never would of thought i knew anything about them from the looks of my desk .. to start off you usually have a computer in a case ...lol

well i know a wood lover too .. he loves it so much he gave part of his finger once ... lol .. i can ask him where he goes cause he usually can find anything .. is is an older dude that lives by that new wal-mart on 72nd (where the ranch bowl use to be - RIP Ranch Bowl :cry: )

* haha.. im not a drinker anymore either .. dont think id make it past number 3 these days .. and i hear ya on the single part .. i remember when i brought my girlfriend home for the first time and she seen my computer layed out ... she was like "what the hell is that?" .. "hmmm ok, thats a little weird" ..lol needless to say i ended up fixing her family's and friends computers for a few years after .. she told me she never would of thought i knew anything about them from the looks of my desk .. to start off you usually have a computer in a case ...lol

She's slowly coming around, with the invent of mini-itx I can see some future projects happening when money allows :)

On subject however, would you use liquid nails for sealing it then screw it together?

well just me but i would use either MDF or HDF... then use a wood veneer on top of that. just a thought...

Back