• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Gripe about UPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neostarwcc

Okay so this is my gripe about UPS. Ever since March of this year they've been delivering my orders to the wrong house, the wrong apartment building, or sometimes the wrong block. I've seen my packages end up sometimes 3 miles away! So I sometimes have to scour the block or drive a couple blocks searching for my package, knock on their door and or when local, take it off their porch (nobody lives there anymore) and look like a thief. Luckily, It's happened so many times now and people around the block know me and deliver it to my house for me. Thank God there are honest people out there. But one of these days one of my $200-$600 packages are going to get stolen. I've seen UPS deliver other people's stuff to my house before too they're just completely retarded and either can't read an Address or are to lazy/busy to read an address.

And my excuse can't be "it's the holidays or the driver" because it's been different drivers for months now, and this has been happening since like March. It's gotten to the point where, I'm going to stop taking orders from Newegg and go with another Canadian retailer that accepts shoprunner or similar services without having to deal with UPS.

It's a shame, because I like Newegg their prices are reasonable and they offer the lowest cost shipping out of anyone (and shoprunner) else I've ordered from before. But they absolutely refuse to send their packages by some other carrier (even for a 5+ year loyal customer) and UPS doesn't give a crap. I've complained to them hundreds of times and they've stated that there wasn't anything they could do about it, or that they their head would give me a followup call. He never did. It's gotten to the point that I've called so many times now that they're ignoring my phone calls.

Normally I don't complain, sometimes packages get lost and drivers don't know the area. But when it's been happening every single time for 9 months straight and they didn't have difficulty locating my address before I refuse to ship anything from them anymore.

Perhaps give them a call/email and let them know you are repeatedly having this issue? Maybe they can "add notes" to your address when a delivery comes for it which would help the drivers?

i hear you man. i just moved and ups can get packages to my house now but before it was a nightmare. i lived at "219 9th st rear house" (separate bldg) because there was "219 9th st apt 1, 219 9th st apt 2" (separate bldg) and "219 9th st front" (separate bldg). these were all located in "sharpsburg." now for some reason, when ups would load my zip code (even when using the full 9 digit) it would override "sharpsburg" for "aspinwall" which was the next town over and not to mention a different zip. coincedentally, there was a woman who lived at "219 9th street aspinwall" who had the same last name as me (no relation, however). so all ups and sometimes regular mail would end up there. now she was a great person and would call us to pick it up or send it back to ups. when i would get a package from ups there would be a sticker on it that said "sharpsburg" but it would always be covering an "aspinwall" sticker. this has been going on for over 20 years and no amount of calls/complaints/letters/pleading has ever fixed it.

tl;dr there are just some locations that ups hates and cannot/will not fix

Yeah like I said I've tried calling them and sometimes they say only the head can fix it and he'll give me a call back. He never does and I don't know his direct line and I doubt they'd give it to me other times they say that there's nothing that can be done packages go astray.

Honestly with GPS technology idk how they can't locate an address. If it got delivered to the same apartment building everytime I could maybe understand, but wrong streets? They have my phone number as well you could always call if you're lost, I know fedex does for my parents...

I wouldn't mind if they were willing to work with me and like you said get notes on my address and normally I wouldn't complain but I'm just afraid someday somebody's going to open my package, find out it's valuable and just pocket it and then claim that they never received it and boom, free money.

Like I said, I've been lucky to get honest people so far but one of these days, somebody crooked is going to get my package.

@chaos

Yeah I can understand that I live in apartment #3 and they used to deliver to apartment #6 and the woman that lived there would deliver it to me or tell me to just come get it since it's like a 2 minute walk. I didn't mind, and I can understand that same apartment building and sometimes drivers can get the numbers mixed up. But when it's several blocks away...... in various places that aren't even CLOSE to my address that's when I started getting pissed. It takes 13 seconds to look at an address. And that woman has since moved due to issues with our landlord (She hated her) so when it does get delivered there I have to look like a thief and take it off her porch. Everyone on the block knows me and knows it's probably my package but it's just the idea.

Last edited:
The problem with UPS nowadays is that they're sacrificing customer satisfaction for efficiency. I've had only a few issues from them, but my biggest complaint is that now they are told to drop packages at the doorstep, ring the bell, and be back in their truck with their seatbelt on before the homeowner opens the door. My local driver doesn't even ring the bell anymore, even when we're clearly home (garage door open, cars inside). One time he actually put our packages inside the garage, and we had no idea. The 'proof of delivery' online said 'left at front door...' we just assumed they went to the wrong house. We didn't find them until the next day.

Im in Massachusetts They used to do the same thing to me, get home check my package status it says delivered and then head out to see where it is, then call UPS and whine and complain for 10 min.

It still happens in the neighborhood though, it's very common to see people walking around checking house numbers or carrying boxes looking for the proper house. LOL

One time I had a new I5-3570K and a new SSD and a motherboard coming UPS. Just as I got home I hear a knock on the door. Ohh good UPS is here. Nope it's a 80 year old woman who lives a block away delivering My CPU and ssd, motherboard box. NICE ! I tell her sorry she had to do that and she says oh no I deliver many packages, they always leave me packages in the area and I take them where they go. I take this to mean the UPS guy is using her as a dump off point :D

Quite the operation :thup:

Im in Massachusetts They used to do the same thing to me, get home check my package status it says delivered and then head out to see where it is, then call UPS and whine and complain for 10 min.

It still happens in the neighborhood though, it's very common to see people walking around checking house numbers or carrying boxes looking for the proper house. LOL

One time I had a new I5-3570K and a new SSD and a motherboard coming UPS. Just as I got home I hear a knock on the door. Ohh good UPS is here. Nope it's a 80 year old woman who lives a block away delivering My CPU and ssd, motherboard box. NICE ! I tell her sorry she had to do that and she says oh no I deliver many packages, they always leave me packages in the area and I take them where they go. I take this to mean the UPS guy is using her as a dump off point :D

Quite the operation :thup:

That's just sad, that they make an 80 year old woman deliver packages.

@pcgamer

See, I don't get the point in even just ringing someone's doorbell and leaving it takes 7 seconds for a customer to answer the door if they're home and for the delivery guy to say "Package for such and such?" they can then say yes or lead the driver in the right direction if they know who owns the package and let's face it, we usually know almost everyone on our block even in the city. Why should people have to deliver packages to the right door and do the drivers work for him for an extended period of 8+ months?

Fedex did it for me just recently. I ordered two day shipping from California because I needed an emergency power supply box the other day. They kept their two days right on the dot despite having to go cross country, knocked on my door and asked if it was my package. They got my address right which just proves that it's possible to locate my apartment number (It's right on my mailbox in big letters). I quickly told him about my previous experiences with UPS even and he gave me a few seconds of his time telling me that it was a common experience with UPS and he's heard of lot's of people make complaints like that and it wasn't just me or the area.

He could just be trying to sell me Fedex but, I think he's succeeded and I'm not going to deal with UPS anymore unless forced to. If that means stopping Newegg completely and going with a different company than so be it. If Newegg is unwilling to work with me on shipping carriers than I don't really want to be part of the Newegg family anymore.

@PCGamer

See, I don't get the point in even just ringing someone's doorbell and leaving it takes 7 seconds for a customer to answer the door
The problem is that 7 seconds is compounded several thousand times each day in each state.. it adds up to a hefty chunk of change for UPS.. I don't blame them.. but they're sacrificing customer satisfaction, which is a bad move.

Last edited:
UPS is horrible. I avoid them like the plague, and recommend to anyone I buy stuff from to use USPS or fedex. UPS beats packages up more than any other company. I know they pay their people the least, so that's probably why. Few years ago I worked at fedex part time just in the warehouse and made $11 an hour, the same job at UPS was $9 an hour and it looked harder there (their system was dumb to me). When shipping coast to coast, stuff takes over a week for ground service. 90% of the time when it comes to PC stuff you can fit it in a USPS medium flat rate box (motherboards and graphics cards), anywhere in the USA in 2-3 days for $11.30 no matter the weight. And the box is free, you can't beat it.

USPS isn't perfect, their tracking is a lot better than it used to be but it still sucks. But they are hands down the cheapest parcel company, I know I've saved over a grand compared to if I shipped UPS over the years.

I know this stuff doesn't help the OP since he's in canada, just stating my gripes with UPS as well.

Lol, UPS has been great for me. So has FedEx outside of a snafu recently (asked for a hold at FedEx/Kinkos they shipped it to the wrong one and would not get it to local store so I had to drive 25 mins to get it. USPS is solid as well... Their tracking MEH, but overall good.

OK, I still roll my eyes when someone from CA or WA gives me a UPS tracking number because I know I won't see that for awhile.

Perhaps give them a call/email and let them know you are repeatedly having this issue? Maybe they can "add notes" to your address when a delivery comes for it which would help the drivers?

Having the same problem and have addressed it with UPS, after they have been out roughly $500 with three lost packages.

They put it on the driver and the shipper. The only note they will add is that the driver should make you sign for it. But actually, unless the shipper requests that, they still leave it up to the drivers discretion. If he/she messes up, it could be on he/she to pay for the screw up if the shipper pushes for that.

Part of the problem with that is that most merchants have a way of writing-off the loss. So the buyer is typically the one who loses out. I've discussed this with two UPS drivers.

I live in a condo complex and constantly have to hunt down my packages even though there are big black numbers next to every front door. Now they make me sign and wont leave packages. Unless it is Christmas when apparently they just forget that rule.

Even then, I've had dishonest neighbors sign for them and actually keep them. UPS just had an investigation a few months ago into this. Sent out the driver again to try and remember which unit she delivered it to. She just couldn't remember. I hoped like hell they would bust that piece of crap neighbor. Then again, giving people any reason to retaliate these days, especially neighbors, isn't the best idea.

UPS works their drivers to the bone. So in that case, that poor woman just could not remember even a few days after the delivery, where she had delivered it to. She had eight choices considering my building has eight units and UPS tracked the delivery by GPS to my building. She left a note next to the mailboxes for the person to return the package, no questions asked. It was torn off and tossed in the dumpster the next day.

You could say that for sure. We had drivers out to after 11pm on Christmas Eve (and the multiple days before) here. I personally worked until after 10 myself. It was a complete cluster#$%# and the blame lies solely on our corporate rulers who tried to run too thin and not bring in help earlier in the season. It was a complete joke from my lowly supervisor point of view. We left two full planes sitting at our airport unprocessed which did not sit well with me at all.

Yeah I had a large delay on a package from them that I ordered around black Friday. It's to be expected every holiday season. This was all happening way before the holidays though. I'm glad I'm not the only person that's had gripes and problems with them though. I'll be going with Fedex from now on whenever I'm forced to buy packages. This war between us has gone on for long enough.

Back