• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My IC7G hangs at POST and won't restart - help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pvanosta

I built the following system (not the one in my sig):
Abit IC7-G
Intel P3 3.0
2x512 GB ddr 550
2x 250 WD SATA in Raid 0
Geforce 6800 GT
Antec TrueBlue 480W power
DVD-RW burner
Koolance Exos with waterblocks on CPU and Northbridge

I installed Win XP plus service pack 2 plus all my software and games.
The system ran fine at 3.9 GHz, with no temperature issues.

In the middle of a game, the system shut down. Since then, I was able to boot back up, so I went into BIOS and reset CMOS.

When I hit F10, the system goes dark All the fans turn, the red and green led on the MoBo are lit and everything is powered up, but NO BEEP and NO signal to the monitor.

If I power down completely and wait 2 minutes, I can power back up.
Then the system gets to
'Verifying DMI Pool...Update success'
And just sits there.

A restart at that point will bring me a dark system again (powered everything but no video output).

A boot from cold and hitting CTRL-F or F4 to get into the raid config, gets ignored.

I swapped out the video card to eliminate that as a potential problem (no video signal), but the behavior is the same with an old Geforce 2 MX.

Is my MoBo FUBAR ? Any ideas / suggestions?

Have you done the reset bios on the MB directly (not in the bois screen)? I would do that first.

Report back if that works then we can get to the other issue with windows...

Yes, I should have specified that. I always reset CMOS using the jumper on the MoBo.

What puzzles me, is that this started happening after 2 weeks of flawless functioning.
That's why I swapped out the video card, assuming it had just died on me, but that was not the case...

Then... swap boot order to CD and see if the window setup CD runs. If so you know its not the MB but something else. I would also double check the cables to the drive, etc.

Try booting a floppy and running fdisk... do you see your drives present?

Thats the best I have... hope you get it worked out

I can run memtest 86 while I'm still at the 'verifying dmi pool...update sucess' line? How do I do that?

Don K said:
If you can get to 'Verifying DMI Pool...Update success', you might be able to run Memtes86 for exclusion purposes?
not he couldnt, he would have to pass post fully to boot from the memtest cd.

I have not yet tried the different power supply route, because I don't have a spare lying around.

Before I tear up my main system, to put my power supply in the other box, I want to make sure that that is the only remaining possibility...

I think it is the memory...

Try this settings unde advanced chipset settings:
ManualTimings:
3-4-4-8
GAT:
A-A-A-D-D

Under SoftMenu setup, be sure to use these settings:
N/B Strap: 800
AGP/PCI: Fixed
AGP/PCI Freq: 66/33
vdimm: 2.8v

Also, to start with, run only at 200FSB.

Back