• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My insulation of annoying LGA775 24/7 (56k warn)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im still confused so do you want it (vasoline) in the
socket
socket and cpu
not in the socket and on the cpu
or not in the socket and not on the cpu

I hate to sound like I am bashing, especially towards Gautam who has helped me out so many times here, but isn't Vaseline a petroleum based product? And as such won't it actually eat the armaflex in short time? I am not sure if armaflex is petro based, but I have seen petroleum based greases such as Vaseline actually melt other petroleum based rubber products rather quickly.

I a'int no chemist :p but I've been using this combo for about two years without issue. :shrug: It never ate anything for me. Actually I use it with neoprene as well (is there a difference) ?

@ Vento: Same as here

As I said about 12-14k gets you Bios set Vcore. But make sure that your board is indeed not drooping with that Kent.

I've never heard of any problems with Vaseline and insulation. I got a huge tube of dielectric grease from mcmaster a long time ago though, it's lasted me a couple of years but I'm almost out so I was going to go with Vaseline once I run out.

OVERKILL! I'd do that if I had phase though. It would suck if a CPU/motherboard would die from something silly like that.

that sure looks like a lot of work...

lazy overclockers like myself should stay away :p

It still takes a lot less work than setting up a watercooling loop. (least for me :p)

too lazy for water as well.

i'm just lazy, all i am saying :p

seriously though, nice results, that 5.4GHz.

Gautam said:
It still takes a lot less work than setting up a watercooling loop. (least for me :p)

Yeah wouldn't doubt its easier than setupin up a water cooling solution.

Gautam said:
Hey, nice to see you around again. :) The grease isn't nearly as bad as it looks. I always fill the socket up, and IMHO, this is sort of a necessary step with LGA775 for 24/7 usage. Otherwise corrosion is pretty likely on the pins and backside of CPU. Besides that its just a very thin layer on all the insulation just for peace of mind. Not fully necessary. Filling any cracks though is advisable.

Yeah, I put the insulation tape straight on the board and it's a beotch to remove. So I'm no longer preserving the look of the PCB..lol

This method is a quick and dirty one.... but prolly less time consuming than cramming 1/2" tubing, pump and a 77 bonneville in a midtower. I'll testify on that one.:)

Vento1 said:
It sure does look messy 2 questions how do you clean the vaseline out of the socket and what do you use.
crc electrical parts cleaner from any local autozone or likewise works great too, never messed with vaseline, but with dielectric grease, works great, you can never tell anything was in the socket when done:beer:

Thanks for a great guide!

I was able to find the adhesive insulating tape at Home Depot just like you indicated.

I also located the sheets of armatex/rubatex insulation in 1/2 and 3/4 inch thicknesses, they were available from local suppliers. Also located a supply of the armaflex tubing. All at prices much lower than expected.

Neoprene on the other hand was totally unavailable in my region which was a bit of a surprise.

Thanks for the pics Guantam. I really appreciate it. I'm going to go phase here soon when I build my new PC and these pics are life saver. One Question though. I know the LGA775 CPUs don't have pins on them- the pins are in in the socket itself. So you coat the whole socket with vasoline, filling the holes where the socket interfaces with the CPU...Doesn't that affect the electrical properties of the board and/or interfere with the operation of the processor?

Last edited:
Nope, not in the slightest. The pins hit the pads on the backside of the chip to establish contact. They'll push through the vaseline easily.

Gautam has been helping me out as well, specially with upgrading to 775 from my old a** socket 478. I insulate exactly the same way, but the only difference is I use this stuff in a tube and it says on the side in big red letters " Non Conductive Silicone Grease , it doesn't run even when it gets hot. Just make sure it says "Non Beaded" otherwise it has tiny plastic beads in it, I guess to scrub something somewhere lol. Ive been running a 3.4ghz P4 @ 4.6ghz for over 5-6 years, and havent had one-single-problem...I just need to upgrade, AGP has been killlllling me. As a matter of fact, I never even had to remove the shell, or re-insulate!

I don't know anything about water cooling, but being a car mechanic who does lot of electronic stuff, we have a big problem with contact corrosion. We used to use vaseline as well, except being that it is a petroleum product, it has a tendency to break down plastic components/insulation. On your next install, can I recommend trying some dielectric grease instead? It is a silicon grease which performs the same function but is not petroleum based.

Oops, looks like the poster before me made the suggestion already.

+1 for Dielectric grease. I used it on my rig and it worked very well, stayed put, is a nice consistency.

This next install I think I will just use grease in the socket and slightly around and nail polish the back side and around the socket and then use neoprene. Although im not planning on 24/7 use anymore.

Back