• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My New Gaming Build...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tharealgc

Hello,

I'm finally going for a new build since 2008 and I'm just dropping it here for someone to check if its all good there...
So here it is:

CAS: Thermaltake Urban S71
PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum
MOB: Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark 1
CPU: Intel i7-4790K
LIQ: Swiftech H240-X
RAM: G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 16GB (2x8)
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 560 Ti
SND: Creative Sound Blaster Z
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
HDD: Seagate SSHD 2TB
LED: NZXT HUE
KEY: Logitech K800
MOU: Razer Mamba
PAD: Razer Kabuto

I am also planning on 2-Way SLI Asus GeForce GTX 960 Ti and perhaps another 16GB of RAM...
So the question here is if the PSU is enough? (I think it will be ok there but just in case)
Any comments before I order it all?

Thank you...

Kill the 560Ti , not going to cut it for AAA titles

you can get a 290x MSI Lightning at the egg today for $ 320.00 after rebate

only will need 2x4 GB for gaming , 2400 is a good speed

your 860 Platinum will push either the Lightning or 2x 960Ti's

the Saber is OK but for that type of money i would at something else

Say z97OCF for $ 220.00 or even less money z97PRO , think they are around $ 180.00

Yeah... I'm just waiting for 960 Ti to come out want em 2Way SLI...
I'm based in UK and this pricing is ok for me... I've waited too long for this build...

P.S> I just have GTX 560 Ti from old build... I just need her to last till 960 Ti is out...

Last edited:
Cool, 2x 960ti's will rock :)

My bad, did not know you were from the UK

First gen American, my family is from the Manchester area.

but I am a Chelsea fan ..... :)

The GTX 960 are supposedly not going to come out till 2015 now, you will also be much better off with a single GTX 980 over them.

I agree with witch Doctor about the mother board for the money my choices would be the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC, ASRock Z97 OC Formula or Asrock Z97 Extreme 6.

If you go with a single card you can power it with a 750w Psu easily, the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 is arguable one of the best units on the market today.

The GTX 960 are supposedly not going to come out till 2015 now, you will also be much better off with a single GTX 980 over them.

I agree with witch Doctor about the mother board for the money my choices would be the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC, ASRock Z97 OC Formula or Asrock Z97 Extreme 6.

If you go with a single card you can power it with a 750w Psu easily, the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 is arguable one of the best units on the market today.

Not agree 2Way 760 Ti beats 780... and 960 will come 1st Q of 2015 as for 960 Ti will come a bit after... I'l be good with my 560 Ti from old build till then...

Not agree 2Way 760 Ti beats 780...
I didn't say the 980 would beat them in performance, I mean that you're better off with a single card because of the hassles with going SLI/X Fire and additionally some games aren't able or optimized for dual GPU's.

I didn't say the 980 would beat them in performance, I mean that you're better off with a single card because of the hassles with going SLI/X Fire and additionally some games aren't able or optimized for dual GPU's.

I dont think it will be an issue for much longer... It's FUTURE MAAAN! xD

It's your rig and you have to like what you buy. I just like having 1 high end Gpu over dual lower end ones.

That is a good point still GPU will be the last thing I order and that moment is somewhere 2-3 month away as for at least that I will use my old trusty 560 Ti...
I might go 970 Ti if it will be there at the point... we will see...

The part I'm not settling it is PSU... wanted to go AX760 instead but price gap between AX860 is too small to even think of goin lower... Future proof is my opinion...
and it should not draw more power from socket as it anyway takes what it needs...

P.S. I have 20hrs to make it all clear as in 20hrs I will order everything except GPU cause what I want is not out yet...

Lose the sound card if you don't already have it. Onboard is good now. Especially on premium boards like that one.

Disagree Mobo SNR is 112 while Cards is 116 and as you know every 3snr is twice as better(cleaner) sound...

Judging from the title alone ->

Disagree Mobo SNR is 112 while Cards is 116 and as you know every 3snr is twice as better(cleaner) sound...

-> Unless you have a fancy set of 600$ headphones to match that sound, you wont hear a difference. If you want ACTUAL "better" sound, get a DAC.

-> for a gaming build, 16gb is already overkill, why would you even think about 32gb? 2400mhz ram is also over priced and over kill. 1866mhz is the "sweet spot" for value at the moment.

-> 256gb SSD's are marginally more expensive than 128's... why not spend the 15$ and get double the capacity? Unless theres some crazy european markup between the two for whatever reason...

-> sell your 560 and get a gtx 970 and be done with it?

-> trident x 2400 memory runs at 1.65 volts. I'll let you google why thats a problem.

I'll be honest, it sounds like you talked to someone on youtube or a "friend" who didn't really know what they were talking about. Take some time and do actual research before dropping a ton of money on silly crap like another 560ti and a soundblaster z you probably don't need. Certainly 32gb of ram is absurd, you wont ever use 16, even if you plan on streaming, 32 is just silly. Its your money though...

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help and advises...
Parts are now ordered and will be with me tomorrow...
Thank you.

Case Closed...

Back