• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My New Ocz Pc-3700 Rev.2 Sucks!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
okay students repeat after me: bt-d43=250 mhz bt-d43+3.2v=250+mhz handpicked bt-d43+2.8v=280+mhz handpicked bt-d43 +3.2v= 300+ There will be a pop quiz after this thread is finished, so no excuses...

I'm hanging on to my set for the time being. I can't blame the memory if I don't have a CPU that can run stable at speed. I thought I did, but my stable FSB OC is decreasing it seems. I got much higher with the Mushkin's, but that was at 5:4. FAH is proving to be as good at pointing out instability as Prime95 - they produce errors at the same settings when other programs run error-free.

Anyway, good luck with your new memory. Glad to hear OCZ support is so good, as I've already found that Mushkin's is also. I'll push my OCZ when I get a CPU that can keep up.

Last edited:
okay students repeat after me: bt-d43=250 mhz bt-d43+3.2v=250+mhz handpicked bt-d43+2

How can you be sure of that? They will only guarantee them to run at their spec'd speeds. They can send a new set that run at 466mhz and no higher and they have fulfilled their commitment. There is now way to be sure they will send you some awesome overclockers. If that was true I would send them back to ocz instead of newegg. But instead I will send them to newegg and order some pc-4200 sticks and if they don't work then I will send them back to OCZ for some good pc-4200 sticks.

well first of all it was an attempt to put some light heartedness into this thread. but the fact remains thats the the high cost of the el 4200 is 1. this memory is hand tested- binned pc4200. 2 you get lifetime support and guarentee. what i was getting at is that almost without exception the new bt-d43 runs like a bat out of h#ll. now u can go with the expensive sure thing or keep an eye out at best buy for some valueram 2x512 modules. do a vmem mod, and with a little luck u have some real fast pc4000 for alot cheaper. Its all what u feel comfortable with.. I like gettin cheap ram (if i can )and make it go fast cause its fun.

KrisMCool said:
I'm hanging on to my set for the time being. I can't blame the memory if I don't have a CPU that can run stable at speed. I thought I did, but my stable FSB OC is decreasing it seems. I got much higher with the Mushkin's, but that was at 5:4. FAH is proving to be as good at pointing out instability as Prime95 - they produce errors at the same settings when other programs run error-free.

Anyway, good luck with your new memory. Glad to hear OCZ support is so good, as I've already found that Mushkin's is also. I'll push my OCZ when I get a CPU that can keep up.

Yeah the tech support is great! You definitely have to rule out your cpu before blaming the memory thats for sure. I always set the memory to run really slow with a divider then I crank up the fsb until it is stable. So far the max fsb that is stable is around 290mhz but I haven't tried adding more voltage yet. I really don't want to add voltage to the cpu. If it will only go to 290mhz fsb with stock voltage that is fine with me. It is still one hell of an overclock!

flapperhead said:
well first of all it was an attempt to put some light heartedness into this thread. but the fact remains thats the the high cost of the el 4200 is 1. this memory is hand tested- binned pc4200. 2 you get lifetime support and guarentee. what i was getting at is that almost without exception the new bt-d43 runs like a bat out of h#ll. now u can go with the expensive sure thing or keep an eye out at best buy for some valueram 2x512 modules. do a vmem mod, and with a little luck u have some real fast pc4000 for alot cheaper. Its all what u feel comfortable with.. I like gettin cheap ram (if i can )and make it go fast cause its fun.

What brand do you suggest for cheap memory that will "probably" reach high fsb speeds??? I have heard some good things about buffalo but I don't know. Any suggestions would be great.

check out best buy, compusa etc. take a look at their pc3200 valueram.if the chips say hynix bt-d43 at the end, presto u have a good chance of running pc4000 +for cheap.. for instance i picked up a 256 stick of pc2700 value ram at circuit city. the stick had bh6 chips! the same chips mushkin is now using on their pc3200 level 2. the only difference is muskin hand picks them. i just tested this stick to 232 mhz at 2-2-2-5, which would make this a great 5/4 tight timing overclocker. The point is getting the correct chips.

look on the chips. in the case of the valueram there's a little box u can look thru and read the chips. for example the bh6 i got was labeled windbond and toward the end is the bh6. same for hynix..

Seeing this:

DOH! I tried to do it even though I can't solder for **** and I got solder everywhere and now my motherboard is dead! Good thing it's still under warranty. I got all of the solder removed so it doesn't look like I messed with the motherboard but it wont get any voltage to the ram now. I think some wires got shorted out. Bummer. I wish I would have waited and ordered some smd grabbers.

I don't see how you can waste money trying out different ram and live with yourself. People RMAing stuff they broke raises the prices to people just like the ones on this forum who are giving you ocing advice for free.
dontgetit.gif

i do in fact buy extra parts now and then for personal testing.if it breaks, thats my responsibility . the real good stuff like this bh6 will go to one of the younger members, for what i paid for it. the other stuff that is useful, i usually give away.

Man chill out. I did not do anything to this ram it is still like new. So it will be RMA'd. The motherboard is regretable but I dont have another $200 to replace it right now so sorry. Don't get all self righteous on me now. It doesn't really matter much to me what you think. Sorry man thats all I have to say about it.

bill gates said:
Man chill out. I did not do anything to this ram it is still like new. So it will be RMA'd. The motherboard is regretable but I dont have another $200 to replace it right now so sorry. Don't get all self righteous on me now. It doesn't really matter much to me what you think. Sorry man thats all I have to say about it.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just an update. Been trying to figure out whether my CPU or my OCZ memory was causing errors / instability. I was just about to conclude that it was the CPU, but decided to run Memtest86+ (all tests) while I was at work. Set memory to rated speed and timings (DDR466, 2.5-3-3-7, PAT disabled). Came home to pages of errors. I had not been running Memtest for much more than an hour before now - wasn't long enough. So I'll call OCZ support for more answers on that. Put my Mushkins back in, FSB 240, 5:4, PAT / Turbo enabled - Prime95 and FAH together (100% load) for 24+ hrs and no errors. Now I'm back to seeing how far I can push the Mushkins at 1:1 for now. I wanted to avoid RMAing the OCZ if possible, but I'll see what their support says.

Thanks to all who have been helping me with this. Still open to suggestions.

at first i thought ocz was sux0r too cuz i wasn't able to push to 3.5ghz but i play around with it and realized it was my fault :) i tweak up a few times and it works!

KrisMCool said:
Just an update. Been trying to figure out whether my CPU or my OCZ memory was causing errors / instability. I was just about to conclude that it was the CPU, but decided to run Memtest86+ (all tests) while I was at work. Set memory to rated speed and timings (DDR466, 2.5-3-3-7, PAT disabled). Came home to pages of errors. I had not been running Memtest for much more than an hour before now - wasn't long enough. So I'll call OCZ support for more answers on that. Put my Mushkins back in, FSB 240, 5:4, PAT / Turbo enabled - Prime95 and FAH together (100% load) for 24+ hrs and no errors. Now I'm back to seeing how far I can push the Mushkins at 1:1 for now. I wanted to avoid RMAing the OCZ if possible, but I'll see what their support says.

Thanks to all who have been helping me with this. Still open to suggestions.

I would suggest that you rma it to OCZ and have them get you a set of hand-picked sticks. They will be good. Or you can do what I did and send them back to the retailer if it's not too late and order some pc-4200 or pc-4400 sticks. It all depends on what 1:1 fsb you are going to be happy with. Me personally I would like a nice high 275mhz+ fsb 1:1 , now that would be fast! I just saw some kingston hyperX ddr500 sticks at circuit city for $129 each. I might give them a try since it is a lot faster to find out if they will work or not.

I was planning to do it through OCZ if I RMA. It should still be the right speed for my CPU / FSB max - around 240. I've still got a couple days through NewEgg. Thanks for the advice.

KrisMCool said:
I was planning to do it through OCZ if I RMA. It should still be the right speed for my CPU / FSB max - around 240. I've still got a couple days through NewEgg. Thanks for the advice.

Your max fsb is only 240mhz??? What chip are you using?

KrisMCool said:
2.8C. Stable max. I know, kinda crappy. Already looking at a new one, though.

I had a 2.8c and it wouldn't overclock well either. I built a computer for a friend who did not want to overclock he was going for cheap and I ended up swapping him my 2.8c for his 2.4c and it gets way higher. Now I can run 3.4ghz+ with a 275mhz+ fsb and get way more performance. Kind of weird but I think all of the new p4 chips really max out around 3.4-3.7ghz on stock voltage and cooling so you are much better off starting with a 2.4 and getting a way higher fsb. Of course then you have to go memory hunting like I am.

Back