• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My New Ocz Pc-3700 Rev.2 Sucks!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update. Turns out that my mobo was the problem. The OCZ memory isn't giving me any problems on the new board. Sure glad I didn't RMA.

Ended up with some Kingston HyperX pc-4000. It runs 260fsb 1:1 with 3.0v. Not as good as I wanted but it will have to do. And it was cheap enough. I got my replacement board from Asus but it is a piece of junk (I guess that's what I get for trying to get a new motherboard for free). It is missing a dimm slot! And when I raise the fsb it also raises the agp and pci speeds even if I set the bios to lock them at 33/66mhz they still go up! I can run the processor at 275fsb but if I go any higher my radeon 9800pro gives a bad bios checksum error indicating to me that the agp speed is being raised. Especially since my 1st P4P800 deluxe motherboard would boot up with a 300fsb with the exact same setup. I guess I will have to junk this motherboard and go buy a new one. Maybe this time I will get a P4C800 deluxe instead. I had someone do the volt mod for me this time around and the most I could get is 3.0v which is kind of dissapointing since my old motherboard did 3.2v with the voltmod.

dang! my OCZ PC3700 Gold revision 1 does DDR510 at 3.2v 2-3-3-7. ive heard the revision 2 sets are not what they should have been though. hope youg et things worked out buddy. sounds like you might have some bad sticks on your hands.

Yeah I have heard great things about REV. 1, even REV. 2 gets great ratings. But the problem with revision 1 is that they only come in 256mb sizes right?

bill gates said:

I had a 2.8c and it wouldn't overclock well either. I built a computer for a friend who did not want to overclock he was going for cheap and I ended up swapping him my 2.8c for his 2.4c and it gets way higher. Now I can run 3.4ghz+ with a 275mhz+ fsb and get way more performance. Kind of weird but I think all of the new p4 chips really max out around 3.4-3.7ghz on stock voltage and cooling so you are much better off starting with a 2.4 and getting a way higher fsb. Of course then you have to go memory hunting like I am.

Ditto for my 2.8C. Maxed out at 234 FSB at 1.7V. :( Even Prime95 fails sometimes......

bill gates said:
Yeah I have heard great things about REV. 1, even REV. 2 gets great ratings. But the problem with revision 1 is that they only come in 256mb sizes right?

Yep. They sold 4x256 tested sets but I doubt they would OC as well due to the huge strain they put on the mem controller.

Steve

Yea, my 2.8c maxes out at 240fsb Prime stable. (ran torture for 48 hours)
But I am plenty happy with it.

I wanted 1:1 memory timings, I got it.
I wanted reasonable tight timings, and I got it.
I wanted something that I could use for fast and accurate video editing and I got that also.

So I say again.... I'm happy. :D

Ditto, Propilot. My OCZ set proved to be fine and runs at the same speed and timings as yours. Well, higher actually. Haven't really tried to find the memory's limit yet. Still dealing with my hot power hog (Prescott - I'm not knocking it. Runs perfectly stable, just hot and power hungry. Seems to work fine on my P4C800-E.) Anyway, ctiaw shows 7242 at DDR 496, 2.5-3-3-7, 2.75v, so I'm happy with mine also.

Last edited:
But the problem with revision 1 is that they only come in 256mb sizes right?
´

Depends how you look at it.
I would say the great thing about rev 1 was that it came in double sided/banked 256MB modules. Great if you only needed 512MB but wanted best performance. But I agree if you wanted a gig it was probably not your best bet.

Br
hepp

Back