• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my new rig is hot thats a bad thing!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gumba

I have put together a new rig got me a corsair Vengeance C70 mid-tower with Asus sabertooth 990 fx rev2.0 AMD 8350 16 gigs of corsair Vengeance 1866 ram MSI N760 TF 4GD5/OC (GeForce GTX 760 GAMING) LG Blu ray burner (not sure why I got that Guess just in case) My power suply is a Antec 550 left over from an ol pc probably should upgrade that? OK as far as cooling goes the case has 2 120mm intake fans and 1 120mm exhaust fan. I added 2 120mm fans blowing inward they are Antec there only rated at 45cfm guess thats why there so quite I'm Using the stock heatsink that came with the 8350. Last week while playing World of tanks my cpu alarmed me that it had reached 60C. By removing the side panel it droped back to 54. I ordered a corsair h110 water cooling kit should have it in the next 4 days. Should I change the case fan config? Like buying some 140mm for the side panel any sugestions are much appreciated

You should have just got a single variable speed Delta. It does cost a fair bit (about $20-30 depending on which one you get), but it's cheaper and better than several "cheap" fans.

The stock cpu cooler for a 8 core fx processor is probably a bad idea! The h110 will help your temps allot and those are decent fans so use them as exhaust to pull the hot air out and threw your rad...the setup I use with my rad is my front two fans are intake and my top two and back are exhaust

So when I install the water cooler the fans wills be blowing through the rad and out the top of the case as exhaust is that correct? should i have the side fans as intake blowing cooler air in or exhaust getting the hotter air out. I heard that more exhaust is better. What's the reason?

So when I install the water cooler the fans wills be blowing through the rad and out the top of the case as exhaust is that correct? should i have the side fans as intake blowing cooler air in or exhaust getting the hotter air out. I heard that more exhaust is better. What's the reason?
Gumba, the Fx 8 series cpu's run hot, 60c depending on where the reading comes from isn't terrible, not great but on the stock cooler probably in the ballpark. For case air flow, the general consensus is to have it flowing from front to rear/top ie front fans drawing air in rear and top fans exhausting. The H 100 should help a lot with your temps. Download Hwmonitor "non pro" and then run prime 95 for 20 minutes then post a screen shot using the in forum attachment tool of Hwmonitor so we can see the temps you're reading. Here's how to post a pic.

You should have just got a single variable speed Delta.
NiHaoMike, I swear you must work for Delta.

ok i will try that. the temps are currently from the ai suite tool that came with my mobo.

ok i will try that. the temps are currently from the ai suite tool that came with my mobo.
It's probably the Socket temp, which we usually try to keep under 70c so you're fine. Word of advice, I'm not sure about on the Sabertooth boards but that Ai Suite is known to cause issues, if you start having problems un install it.

OP, make sure the front and side fans are blowing inward and any rear/top fans are blowing outward.

When you get the new cooler, it should mount in the top and blow air outward.

when i get the water cooler i will try with cover on first get temps then off. I do plan on getting 2 140mm fans for the side since my case will handle them any prefs on brands. I sax one called XIGMATEK AOS (Aeronautical Oil System Bearing) XAF-F1453 140mm White LED Orange Case Fan Ultra Quiet Copper Bushing Axis Aeronautical Oil System Bearing says they have 90 cfm at <18 dBAmax seems good what do u all think?

90 cfm at <18 dBAmax
I find it difficult to believe a fan pushing 90 Cfm is only running at 18 db. You should be fine with 2 front 120's in the front 2 120's on the H100 and 1 120 in the rear. If you find that there isn't enough flow then maybe consider putting fans in the side panel. What are your ambient temps normally?

I sax one called XIGMATEK AOS (Aeronautical Oil System Bearing) XAF-F1453 140mm White LED Orange Case Fan Ultra Quiet Copper Bushing Axis Aeronautical Oil System Bearing says they have 90 cfm at <18 dBAmax seems good what do u all think?

Most manufacturer quoted fan specs are basically BS. Also, you can't compare specs from one manufacturer to another, as they are done on different test benches with different test protocols. Find independent testing and buy based on that.

NiHaoMike, I swear you must work for Delta.
I don't, but I have used them a lot and seen them used in very demanding applications. Out of all the high end machines I have worked on (including rack servers and high end workstations), Delta was the most common brand of fan, with Nidec and Sanyo in second and third place.

If you rather get a Nidec or Sanyo, you'll get great results as well. Just don't buy the very cheap fans. They're unreliable and underpowered. Just one good quality fan (for a case fan) will work well for all but the most high end of machines, get two if you want redundancy.

No kidding.
Might as well just tell a mod to put "Delta or bust" under his user name. :p
LOL Mr Scott!

I don't, but I have used them a lot and seen them used in very demanding applications. Out of all the high end machines I have worked on (including rack servers and high end workstations), Delta was the most common brand of fan, with Nidec and Sanyo in second and third place.

If you rather get a Nidec or Sanyo, you'll get great results as well. Just don't buy the very cheap fans. They're unreliable and underpowered. Just one good quality fan (for a case fan) will work well for all but the most high end of machines, get two if you want redundancy.
NiHaoMike, I'm just bustin your chops, though every post I see about air cooling of some sort, I see "High Speed Delta's" . I just find it funny, they are indeed good fans.

NiHaoMike, I'm just bustin your chops, though every post I see about air cooling of some sort, I see "High Speed Delta's" . I just find it funny, they are indeed good fans.

As good of fans as they are, I enjoy retaining my hearing more.

I have put together a new rig got me a corsair Vengeance C70 mid-tower with Asus sabertooth 990 fx rev2.0 AMD 8350 16 gigs of corsair Vengeance 1866 ram MSI N760 TF 4GD5/OC (GeForce GTX 760 GAMING) LG Blu ray burner (not sure why I got that Guess just in case) My power suply is a Antec 550 left over from an ol pc probably should upgrade that? OK as far as cooling goes the case has 2 120mm intake fans and 1 120mm exhaust fan. I added 2 120mm fans blowing inward they are Antec there only rated at 45cfm guess thats why there so quite I'm Using the stock heatsink that came with the 8350. Last week while playing World of tanks my cpu alarmed me that it had reached 60C. By removing the side panel it droped back to 54. I ordered a corsair h110 water cooling kit should have it in the next 4 days. Should I change the case fan config? Like buying some 140mm for the side panel any sugestions are much appreciated

The stock HS will be fine for non-gaming stuff, but for gaming you need to go higher. I have 2x6 core PC's and 3x8 core PC's and each uses the V6GT CPU cooler, with HAF932 case.
I'm running F@H on all 5 and temps on all 5 don't go over 40C on max CPU load. 1 of the PC's uses the FX8350 at stock speed, here is a screen shot of my temps on it.

8350temp.JPG

Back