• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new seti cruncher is HOT!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
Not hot in speed but hot in temperature

my new xp1800 rig is running at 43c as an idle temperature and i have no funds for replacing the cheapo fan that came with it.

what i need to know is if i can get a windows based system Monitor so i could find out what the load temps are like. Cause if the load temps are too hige i won't be able to do anything cool with the computer (like run seti on it)

its a cheapo mobo with an sis735 chipset i think

and when i do get better cooling i was wonderin if there's any thing i can do to overclock it. theres nothin in the bios to set the bus speed except the option to set it to 100 or 133 and theres no multiplier settings eigther. is there a way to unlock this sort of stuff or should i just go to the other threads to figure this out...

Motherboard monitor is what I use to monitor temps.

If you have no settings in the bios there really isnt anything you can do to overclock.
As long as your temps do go over 50c you should be ok.

Is the board an ECS K7S5A? It uses the SiS 735 chipset and I think you can get a BIOS update that allows FSB frequencies of 124, 112, 138 and 145 Mhz (not sure of the last two, but 112 and 124 are added as options).

Also check for DIP switches on the mobo.

David

[Oc]acaridans said:
Motherboard monitor is what I use to monitor temps.

If you have no settings in the bios there really isnt anything you can do to overclock.
As long as your temps do go over 50c you should be ok.

Where abouts could i get that?

Grab Motherboard Monitor here.....

Also grab in there Shutdown Now! to protect your motherboard from those hot spots :D.

If you want to know a little bit more of MBM and ShutdownNow! go here.

be aware that mbm is free, but shutdown now is not. there is a trial period, then i think it stops working or pops up a nag screen or some other shareware reminder. can't remember for sure.

anyway, if you dont register it (i.e. buy a copy), it may stop working and you wont have it when you need it most. :)

if you are running an ECS k75sa, theres a bios that can allow you to up the FSB. I used to run one and they rock.
pop into the ECS motherboards forums here and someone will post you the link, or just search for " cheepoman bios"
should turn it up for you... :)
or download cpufsb and do it within windows ;)

Back