• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My pc is running too hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a1234

My computer is running too hot.I have an i5 2500k non overclocked and msi z68ma-g43 (g3) motherboard.I dont have a discrete video card.I also have 8 gb corsair xms3 ddr3-1600mhz ram.I have zalman cnps10x quiet cpu cooler.
Can you help me?
aouh5k.png.jpg

Hmm what case, fan setup in case, your room temps and did you put the cooler on wrong? If it was better with the stock cooler and worse with the new cooler you screwed up installing it.

Any other things you need to share before we figure it out?

you have some other cooler in the case?if it is not maibe you shoud try something bigger i recomend Cooler Master Fan 120mm Turbine Master Mach1.8 i have one and it is pretty good!

Hmm what case, fan setup in case, your room temps and did you put the cooler on wrong? If it was better with the stock cooler and worse with the new cooler you screwed up installing it.

Any other things you need to share before we figure it out?

I have Cooler master haf 912 computer case.I was using the stock cooler and it was better.I tried to reinstall the cooler but that didn't work.My room temps might be a little bit hot.

Lemme see, a cooler made for lesser processors, old tech. Screw in setup. With a backplate.

OP, did you follow exactly the insallation instructions? You did something really wrong.

Did you start each screw just barely, then screw each screw in a cross patter 1/2 turn each time, and be meticulus? Or did you crank each cornner down?

Is the fan turning on the cooler?

You did something on the install thats bad.

We have lots of stickies and Youtube probably has great vids on this older cooler. Something is wrong and you need to figure what you did.

One suggestion I got is check and see if it is seated properly. I have a i7 2700k and with the stock cooler, it got to that temp when i ran intel burn test. The heatsink it came with was poor quality to begin with and when i bought a new heatsink, i noticed that the old one wasn't on there properly. I use a Zalman 9700nt, and at max, i got about 65C when i ran the burn test. Also suggest maybe some more airflow. I have a Coolermaster CM690 and i have 2 GELID 120mm intake and 1 GELID Exhaust.

When you removed the heatsink from the CPU what did the thermal paste look like? Was it spread evenly or was there a small blob that wasn't spread out very much? It should be spread in a good layer over the surface of the chip. A heatsink making poor contact with the CPU would hardly spread the thermal paste out at all.

There's definitely a problem with your heatsink mount. It simply shouldn't run that hot at stock settings, even with the stock cooler, let alone the one you have (which isn't amazing, but it's better than stock). You need to remount it and take it slow and careful to make sure it's done properly.

Thank all of you for your help.The problem was some mounting screws were loose.Now I reseated the cooler and I got this results:
fp4d50.png.jpg

I have been running prime95 for 34 minutes and it is working perfectly.Also, I have overclocked my 2500k cpu to 4.5 GHz.

Back