• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My poor eyes and CRT VS LCD...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pf.Farnsworth

Does anyone know which is worce for your eyes? I swear I have -5 in each eye and I am 21. I would ball park the fault at spending most of my life in front of the damn screen.

Since there FINALLY some decent LCD monitors I was pondering about getting one if it was easier on my poor eyes.

Anyone a doctor? read up something ont he subject maybe?

The LCD will be much easier on your eyes and the fatigue factor will be reduced, but neither really do any long term damage unless you're talking about 10 hours daily for years and years, in which case the CRT may do some damage.

I prefer the LCD for everything I do (websurfing, CAD modeling, programming, etc...)

Still gets old if you spend TOO much time on them, but definately much easier on the eyes, especially any text.

lcds are much easier. If your eyes start to hurt for being on the computer for a while, turn off the monitor and rub your eyes with your finger tips gently for 2 minutes and that helps.

From what Iv read and heard for every hour of sitting in front of a computer screen or just playing games on the xbox, PS2 or whatever your meant to have at least a 15min break.

Refresh rates !

if you think LCD's are better for your eyes ..

well dude think again ...

its all depends on refresh rates off your screen the higher the refresh rate that you get on a screen , the less eye fatiuge you will get , for example a 120 hz refresh is much better than 65 hz ...

now , the problem with lcd's is that the refresh rates are way toooooo low in campasrion to crt's , i know there have been some new lcd's with high rates up to 120 hz ... but crt's can get to 385 hz :drool: ... try and beat that ...

so i would say CRT's all the way ... find a good one with high refresh rates and then you will notice the diffrence

cheers

Last edited:
It's less of the refresh rate (does play a role) but more of the way they work. LCDs refresh the whole screen at a time, while CRTs do one line at a time and can 'flicker' which for me causes eye trouble. I can't think of the complete way both systems work (tired, taking cold meds) but that does play a large part in it.

Have you tried LCDs for a long period of time? For me they have always been nicer on the eyes than CRTs. But whatever you prefer works for you :)

I prefer CRT's because of a softer image. The LCD's I've used all had really, really sharp images (normaly a good thing) but I felt increased strain on my eyes.

But still, my next monitor is a LCD simply because of it's small size..

LCD's don't really "refresh" the way you two are thinking. the LCD pixels recieve a command to change which is a refresh...but it's not instantaniously like a CRT, it's a transition...the faster the response the faster the change in pixel colors.

CRT's flicker, and your eyes can sense it, your brain just ignores it.

refresh rate helps reduce stress on your eyes if you use a CRT, but on a LCD it won't.

Since switching to my LCD's i notice less strain on my eyes and I don't get headaches anymore.

ajrettke said:
refresh rate helps reduce stress on your eyes if you use a CRT, but on a LCD it won't.

well i guess your right for normal use ,refresh rates dont count , but if ur dooming like hell then ull notice the difference , refresh rate counts in heavy 3d games even in lcd's which cant beat CRT's in that area ..

LCD's don't have a refresh rate.

In my experience, LCD's are much easier on the eyes. (And not just the design)

SCott....LCD's connected via DVI don't have refresh rates, when connected via VGA they do....cuz the pixels have to wait for the command to be updated...which is given to them via the VGA refreshing...DVI works differently AFIAK and updates automaticaly when the video card is done rendering a new image.

never really spent alot of time with am LCD. I have a 22" Viewsonic CRT Professional Series P225f and its superb. But my eyes arent doing so well. I am down to -5 in each eye so just looking for something to maybe slow that down a little if the monitor type has any effect on it.

5|*42 said:
If your eyes start to hurt for being on the computer for a while, turn off the monitor and rub your eyes with your finger tips gently for 2 minutes and that helps.
Terrible advice (especially for the "2 minutes" part). Rubbing can be damaging in the long run.*

*My source is my eye doctor/surgeon (second best in the world).

Last edited:
Pf.Farnsworth said:
Does anyone know which is worce for your eyes? I swear I have -5 in each eye and I am 21. I would ball park the fault at spending most of my life in front of the damn screen.

I have pretty bad eyes as well at 15. I remember when I ruined them, playing MOHAA (remember that game?) for 15-16 hours straight. Prob just as bad as yours but there is always lazer surgery :)

LCD will be less stressful on your eyes.

Back