• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My relay and my fan behind the mobo mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyrix_2k

Here's the pic's
fan.txt

relay.txt

The fan helps cool the proc and the mosfet's. I dropped approx 8c on my load temp's and my voltage are a little more stable now.

The relay is taped to the back of the outlet and is also harwired into the PSU. It's there to turn on my water pump when I get it.

Pic's are back-up. They were down due to bandwidth problems.I really should upload them to the forumisdown, but I need to use my lappy for that :(

A little more explaining with the relay. It's from radioshack cost a mere $4. I have it setup to connect the Live wire when the coil recieves 12v. The outlet is there so I don't have to cut my pump's cord and void it's warranty.

If you look in the pic, you'll see a thick white cord running into the PSU. That the line to my relay and outlet. Inside the PSU, I wired the live wire into the switch on the back of my PSU. If I turn the computer with the switch, it cuts power to my pump too.

Also, I didn't use a diode in my setup.

Also *also* The case is a mess as nothing is hooked up in that pic. The PSU was sitting there loose.

Nice idea with the relay. It's a great way to switch on the pump with the computer. I did a similar thing a while ago too. I took a junction box, placed 2 outlets and the relay inside, with a power cord that went to the wall, and a molex cord that went to the case. I used to use it for switching on my 3 monitors with my pc back when I had my larger multimon setup. Yes, it was a $4 RS relay too.

I would really like to see someone build some switched outlets into their case to plug peripherals into. Sort of what you did, only maybe a little neater. Nice job none the less. I really like the fan idea. Now work on some cable management, and get some shrink tubing too :p

I didn't concentrate on neatness, obviously, beacause the outlet will be hidden. Soon, I will sleave all my cables and all. It would've happened sooner if SVC actaully had my color of UV sleaving.

Wait, you switched 3 monitors on with a single 4 dollar relay!? It didn't melt or anything?

I didn't want to cut a hole in my side panel as I'm not too good with my dremel so all it does is circulate air behind the mobo. If I did vent it, I would suspect it would drop temps a degree or two more.

Cyrix_2k said:
I didn't concentrate on neatness, obviously, beacause the outlet will be hidden. Soon, I will sleave all my cables and all. It would've happened sooner if SVC actaully had my color of UV sleaving.

Wait, you switched 3 monitors on with a single 4 dollar relay!? It didn't melt or anything?

I was a little worried about that at first myself, but after having it run flawlessly for a few weeks, I figured it was all good. The relays say they are rated for 15 amps, but I didn't entirely trust that rating, I mean look at the size of the terminals. It still worked fine tho.

They were only 15" monitors as well :p

Xenocide said:
i see no pix
I still see them... Wierd.

For the relay... wire 12v to the COIL and attach one lead (hot or neutral) to the NO (Normally Open) pin on the relay, then bring another wire out from the other NO pin, and complete the circuit. It's just like wiring a light switch, but you also have to wire the COIL.

Back