• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Results? 7900GS......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BTK

Just wondering if my results are good/below average.

First off my CPU/RAM

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=216095

100% Stable (20 Hours Orthos/Tons of Gaming/8 Hour Memtest86)

Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATA HD
Corsair HX 520W
Windows XP

4zwhppk.jpg

It's the XFX XXX Edition 7900GS with stock of 600/1,600 MHz

I have it at 610/1,740 MHz and perfectly stable.

3DMark05 - 10K
3DMark06 - 5k

Give or Take 10 points.

If I volt mod maybe a 700 MHz core. My memory has clocked 2 GHz before.

---------

Is my 7900GS outperforming a 7900GT? Close to a GTX? vs a 7950GT?

How much difference would I see upgrading to a X1950XT? Would it be worth it?

-------

And I am not sure how to do a Vgpu. with 870 MHz mem I am more core limited.

Last edited:
Your still not outdoing me, last time I ran 3dmark 05 I got 11k+ and in 06 I got 6500+, i'll run it again today as I haven't run it in about a year. Just remember, your never going to overtake a GT or GTX, GT's and GTX's have 7 vertex shaders and 24 pixel pipelines vs your 7 and 20.

Here's my pic:
ocsf3.jpg

And for good measure I clocked mine at 610 so you can compare:
610tm6.jpg

Last edited:
I am running the rig in my sig bone stock ATM. I pull about 10k in 05. Haven't ran 06 yet. Running a 7900gto. I plan on keeping my system bone stock mainly because I don't really grasp OCing c2d's yet. Haven't spent much time fine tuning it and stuff, but I have clocked it up to 3.2ghz. Only lasted a few minutes though before I set it back to stock, but didn't bench at those speeds.

stang8118 said:
I am running the rig in my sig bone stock ATM. I pull about 10k in 05. Haven't ran 06 yet. Running a 7900gto. I plan on keeping my system bone stock mainly because I don't really grasp OCing c2d's yet. Haven't spent much time fine tuning it and stuff, but I have clocked it up to 3.2ghz. Only lasted a few minutes though before I set it back to stock, but didn't bench at those speeds.

Well welcome to OVERCLOCKERS forums. :)

Just go to the Intel forum and ask for help if you need advice. Plenty of people here have the E4300.

And since no one here has actually addressed the OP's questions yet: Team Rainless to the Rescue.

First of all you have a very impressive CPU overclock. I didn't even know a regular Athlon 64 could get that high. You might be close to 7900GT speeds but you're nowhere near a 7900GTX which can pull anywhere from 7-8,000 in 3D06. An X1950XT would eat a 7900GS alive... but I'm not sure if your processor would be a limiting factor or not. And either way it's not really worth the upgrade at this point with all the DX10 cards out.

I'd switch to C2D at some point if you want a big performance boost. With the aforementioned E4300 you should be able to hit 3ghz on the cheap and have enough of a boost to really show off your video card's potential.

As shown in my sig I've managed to hit 3.76ghz with my E6400... and I'm trying for 4! The E6420 is actually cheaper than my E6400 was when I bought it and it's a vastly superior chip.

rainless said:
Well welcome to OVERCLOCKERS forums. :)

Just go to the Intel forum and ask for help if you need advice. Plenty of people here have the E4300.

And since no one here has actually addressed the OP's questions yet: Team Rainless to the Rescue.

First of all you have a very impressive CPU overclock. I didn't even know a regular Athlon 64 could get that high. You might be close to 7900GT speeds but you're nowhere near a 7900GTX which can pull anywhere from 7-8,000 in 3D06. An X1950XT would eat a 7900GS alive... but I'm not sure if your processor would be a limiting factor or not. And either way it's not really worth the upgrade at this point with all the DX10 cards out.

I'd switch to C2D at some point if you want a big performance boost. With the aforementioned E4300 you should be able to hit 3ghz on the cheap and have enough of a boost to really show off your video card's potential.

As shown in my sig I've managed to hit 3.76ghz with my E6400... and I'm trying for 4! The E6420 is actually cheaper than my E6400 was when I bought it and it's a vastly superior chip.

Um, my CPU can hit 3 GHz on stock vcore easily. In winter I run it 3 GHz.

I maxed out @ 3.2 GHz with ram not in the equation and with ram it was like 3.15 GHz

right now my vcore is below stock.

1.35 as opposed to 1.392 stock

the 4000+ A64 are good overclockers

but If I got a X1950XT how much % boost?

or vgpu 7900gs?

not ready to do a whole mobo change now

but if i do........

asus pk5-c
Q6600
crucial ballastix (micrond9gmh)

BTK said:
asus pk5-c
Q6600
crucial ballastix (micrond9gmh)

That looks like the winning team ;)

3ghz on your CPU and 3ghz on a C2D are a completely different story. (Faster bus speed, faster ram, shorter pipes, etc...) Just like my cpu at... say. 3.2ghz would annihilate a Pentium D 805 @ 4ghz.

Like I said, I'm not sure how limiting a factor your CPU would be. But all things equal an X1950XT should get at least 2,000 more points in 3D06.

so = fps + in a game like dark messiah/doom3/fear/oblivion?

so is my card good enough to hold me till g92? or is a x1950xt tons better
so is my gs a good card @ 610/1,740 MHz or not good enough that i need a x1950xt or 8800

and the q6600 i would get would be the G0 stepping one

BTK said:
so = fps + in a game like dark messiah/doom3/fear/oblivion?

so is my card good enough to hold me till g92? or is a x1950xt tons better
so is my gs a good card @ 610/1,740 MHz or not good enough that i need a x1950xt or 8800

and the q6600 i would get would be the G0 stepping one
if your current performance in whatever games you play is fine, there's no real reason you should upgrade. when your graphics card just won't cut it with some new game you happen to be getting into, that would be the time to upgrade. there's always new technology around the corner, so just buy what you need when you need it, not months and months in advance.

Special7 said:
Your still not outdoing me, last time I ran 3dmark 05 I got 11k+ and in 06 I got 6500+, i'll run it again today as I haven't run it in about a year. Just remember, your never going to overtake a GT or GTX, GT's and GTX's have 7 vertex shaders and 24 pixel pipelines vs your 7 and 20.

Here's my pic:
ocsf3.jpg

And for good measure I clocked mine at 610 so you can compare:
610tm6.jpg
I know but........

Clock speeds can make up for the 4 less pp and 1 less vp.........

VS a stock 7900GT and an overclocked 7900GS an GS can overtake a GT........

but when you overclock the GT the GS won't pass it oc'd unless you volt mod the GS to 700 MHz + Core and 1,800 MHz + Mem which many people have done........then it can overttake an overclocked GT and I have seen some come close to a stock GTX........

but then you can also volt mod the GT and overclock the GTX

but the GS clocks a bit better than a GT because it has 20pp7vp as opposed to 24pp8vp

Sure the GS clocks better but I still prefer having the raw hp of 4 extra pipes and that extra vertex shader.

Back