• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my win 7 install experience ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greyharte

my win 7 install experience ...

current system:
opteron 165 (stk), wc'd w/ swiftec apogee v2, bix120.2, swiftec mcp655
dfi lanparty nf4 ultra-d
2gb (2x1gb) corsair platinum 2-3-3-3-8 1t
1x evga 7900 gs ko (stk)
1x wd160gb sata - os boot - win xp 32bit svcpk 3
2x wd36gb raptor - raid 0 - new - empty
1x lg dvd/r - pata
1x 250mb int zip - pata
1x 3-1/4 floppy
sunbeam fan controller

so the obvious approach ...install win7 to my empty raptor raid drives, sounds simple. right?

first run: custom install ... sees raptors as 2 separate dynamic 36gb drives, was able to okies well so
continue install, maybe it'll load appropriate drivers for the nf4 raid as it goes (supposed
to have all the drivers they say). 1st reboot, failed cant find ntloader (boots to xp np)

second run: custom install ... sees only 1 raptor, no drive options ... reboot nv raid shows raid failed

welp ... after multiple install starts, various combinations of 1, 2, can, cant, rebuilding in xp, d/ling vista
64 raid drivers, 3-1/2 hrs later ... i fianlly got it to install onto my 2x36gb raptors in raid 0

except for installing the nf4 vista 64 raid driverrs i havent needed to load any other drivers ... so far...
the only issue so far (got too late last night) is i cant see my 160gb wd drive with the xp 32bit os

so the final solution make sure you have the vista 32/64bit raid drivers (as req) and in xp (at least)
make sure you have your raid as undefined

I know your pain dude, ihe spent days it seems trying to get those damn nf4 raid drivers working. Not having a floppy drive, or 2 dodgy disks, wiith xp is a PIAN!!! Nlite helps, but you gotta get the settings right. burned through about 6 disks one morning trying to get it to work.

The one bonus with vista/7 is that you can install from a USB drive!!!!!! still makes me giddy. just dump a whole bunch of fersions of drivers on there in different folders, and try them all.

Though i bought a belkin 2 port pci-e raid controler baised on the SI 3132r5 chip. got it for £10 at pcworld. ant find it for less that £20 anywhere else. not the best but takes the load of the nforce. + its movable.

You can also devide it up "intel matrix" style i have 80gb partition, and a 40gb partition. the Drives. (7200.9 and 7200.10) 80gb. max read speed begins to drop off at about the 90gb mark. windows 7 runs real quick on it.

fortunately i have a 3-1/2 drive so i was able to get it done

not so sure i wanna do "matrix" style partitioning, as it stands i only have 68gb on the raid partition

Matrix raid is great for larger drives. Like my 320's for example, Raid 0 but a 150Gig OS and remainder as a Storage/Apps drive.

Back